I pulled away from her hug, I wiped each of her tears away. I kissed her on her forehead, both of her eyelids and her lips. Before I started to speak again.

"Your uncle would be sad to know you're crying for him, he would love it if you continued his fight. Simulan natin ngayon mahal ko." I said as I looked into her eyes.

"Love, salamat for being here with our family. Sobrang na-appreciate kita. Tama ka, Hindi matutuwa si Uncle. Kaya tara na. Hinihintay na nya tayo." She said finally as she took my hand and intertwined it with hers.

Hawak kamay kaming bumaba sa Sunken Garden, kung saan magsisimula ang martsa namin. Lahat kami ay nakasuot ng itim na polo shirt, bitbit namin ang mga puting kandila. Tahimik kaming naglalakad sa ilalim ng dapit hapon, palubog na ang araw. Pero tila naguumpisa pa lang kami sa pakikipaglaban para sa kinabukasan ng mga susunod na henerasyon.

I stole a glance at her parents who were on our left, tulad ni Denise, ang Daddy nya at ang dalawa pang kapitid nito, si Eileen at ang tatlo pa niyang nakakatandang kapatid. Lahat sila ay mugtong-mugto ang mga mata. Kahapon pa kasi sila umiiyak. Nasa isang restaurant kami at nanananghalian ng pumutok ang nasabing balita. Sila Nanay At Tatay ay kasama sa kumite ng Bantayog ng mga Bayani. Sila din ang nagretrieve at nag-ayos ng skeletal remains.

We eventually sang songs as we marched to the Bantayog, hindi alintana ang mga taong umiiwas ng tingin sa amin, habang ang iba ay sumesenyas sa amin na kaisa namin sila. Habang kinakanta namin ang isang Filipino Folk Song entitled Tumindig ka, I stole a glance at Denise as she sang the song. I couldn't help myself but hold her hand. She looked at me as she smiles faintly at me. I smiled back as we made our way to the Bantayog, holding hands. She held my hand tighter than she had ever held it. It was a hold that told me to support her with everything she was about to do. I returned her tight hold on my hand as an assurance for her. I pledged my allegiance to her on that day. 

Once we have arrived at the Bantayog, we prayed, sang songs and celebrated Edgardo Jopson. His life and conquest for truth and accountability from the government will be remembered. I took a glance at her as we stood our ground.

The whole night, I did. Never really wanting to take my eyes off of her. Kahit na kailangan nyang lumibot sa kwarto para pasalamatan ang bawat tao na tumulong para mahanap ang Tito nya. The program served as a wake for her Uncle at bukas, saktong alas dyes ng umaga, ililibing na nila si Tito Ed.

"Anak." I was brought out of my reverie when Nanay called me.

"Nay? Bakit po?" I said as I scooted near her.

"Lagi kayong mag-iingat sa rally ha?" Nanay said.

"Opo, nanay. Hindi ko po hahayaang mapahamak kami ni Denise." I smiled at Nanay.

"Wag kayong magpapahuli ng buhay." Nanay said seriously.

"Nanay naman eh, pinapakaba mo naman ako nay."

"Nasa watchlist na kayo ni Denise anak. Yun lang naman, mag-iingat kayo lagi." 

 "Pangako ko nanay. Salamat nga po pala sa pag-aayos ng burol ni Tito Ed." 

"He was one with us anak. Kaibigan namin siya ng Tatay mo." She said smiling. 

"Naawa ako kay Denise, nanay." I admitted to her as I looked at Denise who was now across the room, talking to Chairman Gascon. 

"Hindi mo kailangang maawa sa kanya Anak. Tignan mo si Denise. She is a strong and beautiful woman, alam ko na mas matapang nyang haharapin ang bukas. She has an unmistakable fire in her eyes. Katulad ng kay Edgardo." 

"Talaga po ba nay?" I asked her. 

"Oo anak, masiyahin si Edgardo. Magalang at Mapagmahal. Sayang nga lang at namatay na pala siya." Nanay said. 

"Just like Eileen and Denise. Sayang at hindi niya inabutan ang mga pamangkin niya." I said to Nanay. 

"Oo nga eh. Denise is a good and kind hearted woman. Ang nakaraang anim na buwan ninyo ang pinaka-matino at pinaka-masayang yugto ng buhay mo anak. Natutuwa kami sa kanya ng tatay mo."

"Salamat 'Nay. Alam ko naman po na gusto niyo si Denise para sa akin." 

I said as I hugged Nanay. It was the first time we had a serious talk about my activities. We held each other for what it seemed like a long time. Buong gabi kaming naki-dalamhati sa pamilya ni Denise. I sat quietly at the left portion of the Bantayog Art Center, where they usually hold exhibits. The night has already wore on, now the last visitor for the wake has settled down. I saw Denise looked over her shoulder, nagtama ang mata namin. She smiled at me and she excused herself finally from her family. She walked towards me and sat beside me.

"Love, sorry. Nabored ka ba?" She asked me as she puts her head into my left shoulder. 

"I will never grow bored watching you." I said as I put my arm around her body, pulling her closer to mine. 

"Thank you, love." She half smiled. 

"Matulog ka na muna, I'll watch over you mahal ko." I whispered to her. 

"Are you sure love?" She asked me. 

"I'm sure. Sige na matulog ka na muna. Pikit ka na." I replied.

She leaned closer to me as I hummed her favorite song. Effectively lulling her to sleep. Bukas ng umaga ililibing na namin ang uncle niya. I looked at her as she slept with her head in my shoulder. I wish to do everything I could to let her know that I will always be there to support her. See kid, there are things we often couldn't express in words which we must convey through actions. Every little action we do, leads to something greater. I know, because that was how I got your Mother to love me as much as I love her. I showed her I was serious, every little action I did was always for her and to be worthy of her love. 

A/N:

To the birthday girl rastroheart, Happiest Birthday to you! Enjoy reading this! 

Bantayog ng Mga Bayani is a Memorial Site for the Victims of Martial Law 1, you may follow this link: https://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/travel/ph-travel/146918-martial-law-tour-bantayog-ng-mga-bayani to know more about what the Bantayog houses and what they are. They also offer a guided tour for 50 php! You might want to check that out, I highly recommend it especially to those who wants to know more about the horrors of Martial Law 1. 

See you guys on the next chapter? Yes. 

Always spread light and love folks! 

-Sky