Chapter 51

(unedited)

Chastity, Granite, Melissa

  Chastity quietly slid into the dormitory, avoiding the creaking floorboards by stepping close to the walls, her woolen socks silent on the hardwood. She felt like a thief, and found that she enjoyed the pounding of her heart, and the excitement of doing what she knew she shouldn't.

  Everyone else was downstairs serving the evening meal, but Melissa was covering for her, and the absence of the Housekeeper made it much easier to deceive the Elder slaves in order for her to sneak around. 

  She was missing dinner for this, but she'd eaten some of the raw meat herself when she and Melissa had stolen the steak bribe for Humble, so she wasn't too broken about it. Even if she hadn't, missing a meal was worth it, if the halfbreed had told her the truth.

  It wasn't hard to find once she knew where to look, and Chastity smirked to herself as she pulled the cell phone out of it's hiding place.

  It. Was. Gold. Nothing could be more precious. 

  It was access to information, a conduit to the rest of the world. It was power.

  Alpha had made a mistake when he decided to send the slaves to school in the outside world. It allowed them to see that there were other Packs where females held positions of respect, and that even humans treated their women better than the males did in Hammers Pack.

  Chastity wanted that respect and power, she deserved it.
  She was smarter than most of the males in the hierarchy, but she didn't have the physical prowess to dominate anyone, so she needed a male who could do the fighting for her. Granite was hardly controllable, but he was the best she could get. Besides, he could be manipulated, if you knew what buttons to push, and she did.
  Hadn't she managed to stop him from raping the halfbreed, thus earning Humbles trust and gratitude?
  And she had given the location of this wonderful phone as her reward.

  Chastity couldn't help poring over the magical thing when she knew she should be hurrying out of the dormitory and going back to work before her absence was noted.
  But she couldn't help it! This was everything she'd dreamed of for so long.
  She suspected that Humble had given some of the older slaves basic cellular devices in the past, in exchange for favors, but she was younger than the halfbreed and had never had anything to offer her, until now. There was so much more she could do with a phone than any of those old dinosaurs, and now finally she could.

  There was more than just the internet on the device, there were many phone numbers for kids from school. She didn't list their full names, but Chastity recognized the abbreviations as being nicknames of members of an enemy Pack. Concrete evidence of Humbles treason against Hammers Pack. Not that the girl needed anything else to convict her, she was already sentenced to death.

  Chastity scrolled through all the numbers, then paused on one in particular, and went into the texts. Interesting.

  The name was familiar, but only because she made it her business to find things out. Most of the Pack wouldn't recognize that this particular girl lived at the farm next door.

  Did Humble think any of these friends would come and rescue her if they knew what was happening, or were they just names without substance?
  Anyway, the point was moot, because they didn't know.
  Or maybe she thought the downtrodden halfbreeds would stand up and put their lives on the line for her?
  Unlikely... most of them had lost their spines after one too many punishments.

  A cunning smile crossed her lips, and she almost laughed at the feeling of evil genius that filled her.

  She'd send Granite to pay a visit to the neighbors just in case, tonight, when they were asleep 'safe' in their beds... and then afterwards he could corner a few of the mongrels and put the fear of God (or worse), into them.