Chapter 45

(unedited)

Izzy

  "Stay in the house, I'll be back after my shift patrolling the border." Hammer said.

  "Yes sir."

  "And remember, you are still a slave until our deal is honored." Hammer said. "If you want to take the bus in the morning so much, it means you'll have to stay at school all day."

  "Yes sir." Rocks voice was completely emotionless. 

  Rock wanted to go to school? She couldn't blame him, she'd rather go to school than be trapped here, in this house. Or under the house, as the case may be.

  Second question. What deal?
  Surely Rock knew not to make a deal with the devil?

  At least he wasn't getting beat up again, because he'd already been done over twice today, and his reserves must be getting real low. Too low to be able to shift, which was probably the idea.

  "After that? We'll see. If you honor your word, I'll make you a warrior, and let you challenge for Delta."

  "Thank you sir."

  "Alright."

  She heard the Alpha leave, and there almost seemed to be a spring in his step. His good mood didn't bode well for someone. Who was he so eager to punish this time?

  When he'd had her taken out of the house, she'd been afraid that this was it, and that the Delta was walking her to where he'd dug a shallow grave...

  It was somewhat anticlimactic to find out that she was being led (shuffling in her hobbles) to the small office in the Pack House.
  It turned out that the reason she'd been kept alive was because she was the only one who knew how to do the GST returns.
  It almost made her want to laugh around the ball gag. Almost.

  The Delta hadn't untied her, or bothered with clothes when he'd plucked her out of the Punishment Room. He had seemed more focused on speed than propriety, as he almost sprinted out of the Alpha's house.
  The Housekeeper had been waiting outside, along with Melissa and Chastity, and had handed over a pile of clothes.
  The Delta ignored them, and waited until they passed the washing line to snag something to cover her with.
  So she'd been wrapped up in a sheet and dumped on the offices swivel chair, and then had to wait for nearly half an hour for Hammer to arrive.

  Was he so stupid that he thought she would just tell another slave everything she knew about running the business and the Pack, when her only reward was death at the end? Where was the incentive?
  She'd been given firm instructions about passing on the baton to another slave, and teaching them everything she knew. Encouraged to do the right thing, for the good of the Pack.
  Why would he think she cared about the good of a Pack that she didn't even belong to? Or did he believe his own hype? That women were mentally inferior and needed to be guided by a man?
  But seriously, who is going to give away the only bargaining chip they have that could save their life, just because an Alpha told them to?
  Oh, yeah, werewolves.

  Izzy still didn't know why she did it, and was afraid it was a stupid gamble, but, instead of blackmailing Hammer with her knowledge of his financial dealings, legal and otherwise, she instead pretended that his Alpha Voice was working on her, and submitted to his wishes.

  She'd given away her advantage, writing down all the passwords for Chastity, and giving Melissa a tutorial on doing the GST return for Inland Revenue.
  She did just to make Hammer believe she was in his thrall, when, in reality, she no longer struggled to resist his Alpha Commands.
  While he had never had full control over her, something within her had broken entirely when the mate bond had been severed, and now she felt almost nothing when he spoke.