Chapter 15 - "Oh my gosh, who freaking cares?"

En başından başla

"Yes," Josie said. "It just proves you were right all along. Georgina Burns is the producer George Brigs."

"Once you know that everything makes sense. Their names are so similar. It explains why Georgina was on tour with so many different musicians. Besides she always struck me as too smart to be a dumb socialite."

Haley found herself shaking her head. Did they actually listen to themselves? Did they ever realize what they were saying sounded so stupid? Wanting to be free of the tiresome tirade, she picked up her speed. Even as she gained distance she could hear their conversation.

"But how do you explain her connection with Nate?" Josie asked.

"It was all a publicity stunt. They needed a reason for Georgina being on tour with Late Nights Back Home. Besides if you check the photos, Nate has been on and off again with Rosie Mulligan for the past three years."

Though Haley was not much of a runner, she pushed herself to go faster, wanting to be anywhere but near those two. As she ran she planned out how she was going to escape working with them that afternoon. She could not last a couple of hours of that. If she had to she feared her IQ would drop a few points.

**********

Hours later, Haley sat on the bleachers, chin in hand glaring at the ground. In her mind, she turned over every excuse she could think of. The cool air chilled her bare arms and she relished the sensation. When her brain couldn't produce anything better than 'she was allergic to stupidity', she stood realizing she was just going to have to wing it.

Half the normal group was already working when Haley stepped out of the gym. The music hadn't been started up, but the rhythm of voices was a melody on its own. Rachel was sitting in the shade of the building, looking down at the clipboard. For once her smile was nowhere to be seen. To Haley, she looked human. But when Rachel heard Haley approached, she looked up and the smile was once again on display.

So much for being human.

"Hey, Haley," she said.

For some reason, Rachel being so familiar with Haley's name felt strange. Weren't people with her looks, friends, and status suppose to barely notice the lower class people? Yes, they had been working together but still, whenever she said it, it felt like she was breaking the status quo. And you didn't mess with that, no, no, no.

Rachel stood, so they were on eye level. "What can I help you with?"

"You have me working with Ty and Josie..." An excuse for why Rachel should change this didn't pop into her mind. Hearing the pause, Rachel spoke up.

"I do," she said, "they are really close to being done, so with your help, the booth should be completed by the end of today."

"Right...done today."

Rachel nodded, her smile encouraging. Still grasping at some reason Haley should be saved, she remained planted to the spot. Nick jogged up to Rachel, his good looking face frowning.

"Hey, babe," he said, looking at his girlfriend. "Bad news, Austin and Tanner had to bail."

The smile slipped from Rachel's face. Taking a deep breath, she nodded slowly, as her brain processed the new information and all the effect it would have. In that one moment, it was like Haley could see a mountain of tasks laying on her shoulder. The moment vanished almost as quickly as it had come. Pulling up her smile once again, Rachel focused on Nick.

"It's all fine, we'll figure it out."

Nick kissed her cheek. "Let me know what you need to me do."