vii. summer of '85

Start from the beginning

Paul parted from his date finally to share a few words of enlightenment to Amanda's dear baby blue. "Thought you were gonna play the other song? You know! The Clapton one!"

"Oh, look! We're here you slobs," Bobby intervened to say as Amanda turned out to the shroud of trees around the house that accompanied the tranquil lakeside scene. She chuckled at the couples immediately rushing to get themselves their rooms while she started to grab her things from the trunk.

"Here, I got it," Marty offered and took a hand to help her out.

Amanda only smiled and nodded, causing Bobby to laugh under his breath over the obvious shift in dynamic between the two. She furrowed her brows over this and turned to him confused on what was funny. "What's with you?"

He shrugged, putting down the bags he was carrying for a moment. "Nothing, I'm just now realising I'm the only one who didn't bring a date is all." Bobby motioned over to Marty. Considering, despite him being closer with Amanda, he'd known the boy the longest out of anyone. At this rate he was just as much an expert on what went on inside his head just as any of them were. "He would've brought a date, I've known him long enough."

"So? Doesn't mean anything."

"Well, if I'm right, and I know I am, none of us are going to be the slightest bit surprised over it," Bobby explained and went inside with the others soon after.

Standing back for a moment, Amanda tried to think through all of this. . . realistically, of course. The last person Marty dated was Heather, and that ship sailed the day after that night with Dylan. After that, things were quiet on his end. The two were helping out Doc more and anytime Amanda was around at least, Marty wasn't leaving off with a new girl anymore. His focus was on her these days and they only deepened their friendship that way. She didn't assume it could be the start of something else besides that.

The rest of the day consisted of the band of small-town teenagers basking in the minimal sun at the lake house and enjoying the lack of pressure any of them had; a summer moment at its finest. By the time the night was well on the way in and everyone seemed to tuck themselves away in the house again for the meantime as the summer breeze kicked in, the logs of the bonfire remained outside.

Amanda was the only one left sitting along beside it being preoccupied with stargazing to care about the cold. Stepping out of the house in search of his friend, Marty wasn't surprised to find her head up in the night sky. Watching her shivering he took a minute to grab a blanket out from inside. "Here." Amanda turned away from the daze she had created for herself to notice Marty had come back out with a blanket in hand.

Her sweater was still soggy from the swimwear she had worn to go into the lake to have her smile over to him and make some space for Marty to put his arm around her to wrap the blanket around the two of them. "Thought you would've been inside by now. But then I saw you were still outside here and I don't need you getting sick on me."

"Thanks, Marty." Looking back over to the night sky, she sighed under her breath out of her own reflections she'd been having here. "Didn't feel all that tired just yet- Still thinking over some things."

He furrowed his brows to immediately look to her concerned. "What's wrong then doe eyes."

Amanda couldn't help to laugh along with him over the nickname before explaining things to him as vaguely as possible. "Y'know, you've surprised me recently. I haven't seen you date in a record amount of time since I've met you, which is a short amount of time I know but you still have a track record," She mentioned to see him easing himself to turn away, "There's nothing wrong right, blue?"

"I don't know—" He stopped to face her for a moment, the nickname not doing its purpose in steering the conversation away from anything serious. "I've been thinking of stopping the whole one-off things, it hasn't been all it works itself out to be. What with the band thinking of sending out a recording to this record company soon, it's only a matter of time before I say farewell to Hill Valley."