Chapter 11

There's no point in pretending that I didn't notice the shadow concealing himself behind the trees.

Run.

I tell myself, but it seems my legs still haven't taken the order. It won't register no matter how many times I repeat it.

Scream.

I consider, but no one would hear me since I haven't seen a single live ally even after traveling for hours.

Cry.

When my son was taken away from me, I stood still and cried. That did nothing.

When Evie sacrificed everything to help me escape, I didn't know what else to do but that too.

No.

I still haven't alerted my pack of the imminent danger. I still haven't found help for Ralphie.

I still haven't finished living yet.

Gathering the courage to finally look at the enemy, I surprise myself with the sudden lack of cowardice.

Back then, I always kept my head lowered in the presence of a vampire. I am weak and at that their mercy. That's what all humans have been raised to know and acknowledge back in Vampire Territory.

But now, instead of trembling at the pair of hungry eyes fixated on the throbbing vein in my neck, I'm empowered. The rush of adrenaline pulsing through my entire body fueled by my determination to live is something new, odd, and strangely good-feeling.

I swiveled and crouched down, entering a wrestling stance.

My skills are far from capable of handling a vampire alone, but it's not completely useless when fear isn't an issue. From my belt, I slide out a dagger that has only been used for cutting plants up to now.

The vampire's eyes glowed red as he started charging at me in a sloppy manner.

The moment his claw-like hands made contact with my arms, I threw my right arm upwards, successfully making a clean slash up his throat.

The monster howled menacingly as it drew backwards a little. I took this time to throw myself at him, stabbing the blade through his arm, trying my best to cut it off.

If I learned anything from living twenty something years among these beasts, they don't give up until you rip some part of their bodies off.

And right now, I was trying my best to saw off his arm with my pint-sized dagger. I felt him claw at my chest, but the pain didn't get to me as I was much too engrossed in performing my deed.

I refused to let go because once I do, it'll kill me.

With one final yank, his arm finally came off and fresh blood splattered all around us. Its blood-curdling howl echoed through the darkness, shaking the trees and waking the creatures burrowed beneath the surrounding area.

Its red eyes glared at me with wrath and disbelief before dashing towards me in a frenzy once more.

I raised my weapon above my head as I counted in my head for the perfect second to end this fight. However, my counting was interrupted when a huge figure fell from the sky and landed on top of the vampire who was barely a foot away from me.

I stared blankly at the silver man-beast who made the vampire look so small under his paw. With one simple motion, the bloodsucker's head detached from his body.

"Ralphie!"

My body didn't hesitate to throw itself onto him, though my arms barely managed to hug a third of his current form.