Chapter 8

A/N: Hope everyone's staying warm for the winter? As promised, longer chapters here we go~

*****

I honestly didn't dream that I'd be able to open my eyes again.

But I did.

Next to me, a gray wolf, the size of a stallion, is asleep with his hundred pound tail wrapped around my naked body.

My heart aches seeing the long claw marks running down his bruised sides. I didn't even want to look at how deep it cut into the flesh when the smell of blood in the room was enough to get me nauseous.

After sitting a little longer, I carefully wriggle out from underneath Ralphie's massive body, careful not to wake him. However, the minute I detach myself, it is my own body that registers the absence of his warmth and responds with a sudden yearning.

I brush the feeling off, blaming it on the cold. Grabbing my fur, I quietly make my way out, careful to match my footsteps with the sound of his heavy breathing.

But before I successfully sneak out, a hand cups around my wrist and pulls me backwards.

"Don't go," his voice begs with desperation.

I feel the warmth of his chest press against my back as his arms land protectively in front of me, securing me tightly in his hold.

"Don't go," he repeats, pressing his face against mine. "Stay."

I find it wondrous at times that my heart can still jump so vigorously after being so abused in the past. But it's probably just another passing phase. It should dull eventually, like before.

I break from Ralphie's grasp and create some space.

He doesn't like how I pushed him away, but he's trying his best to hide it as he listens attentively.

"I can't be with you," I say with all seriousness while looking directly into his sun-glazed eyes. "I can't stay here either."

Ralphie produces a reassuring smile as he draws me in for another comfortable hug.

"We convinced the Alphas to investigate further. The Bloodsuckers never stated that you were who they were after. Besides, there's no way they could have figured a human could survive jumping into the Infinite River without freezing to death or being washed away with the currents. Even some of those leeches can't handle that."

"So they're not looking for me?" I ask meekly. Ralphie shakes his head. "Your two family didn't die because of me?"

Tears trickle down my cheek when Ralphie shakes his head once more. They aren't tears of joy nor happiness. It was just the result of something I can't quite express at the moment.

Ralphie lays my head down on his chest.

"Despite slight disagreement, the Alphas reached a consensus to dismiss their previous order. You can stay," he assures me while patting my back. "We can be together."

"We can't."

He looks at me with confusion. "Why not?"

I attempt my best delivery of the line I have dreaded for the longest time.

"Ralphie...I don't love you."

I expect him to look at me with hurt and hate. Instead, he gives me neither.

"I'm not stupid. You definitely love me," he responds, eyes gleaming with unwavering confidence.

"I said I don't," I repeat with less assertion than the first time. His candidness makes me doubt my own words.