06: Room Full of Questions

Jackson never expected how quickly he would be back inside a room without windows. In fact, he didn't see any windows in the entire edifice. Everything is in shades of gray, colorless and cold. The very idea of it makes him want to rip out his hair.

He is waiting in a room, wearing a navy suit and burgundy tie, sitting in a chair while holding an old wrinkled photo. It's a photo of a little boy and little girl, sitting on a fence with tulips and large trees in the background. Both have bright smiles and the little girl is leaning her head on the little boy's shoulder. Jackson grins while remembering old memories, his body leaning forward, and one arm propped up while holding the photo.

Crystal and Jackson were five years old when they first met. Crystal and her parents had just moved in to the house next door. The first day they arrived, both of their parents were already bonding while chatting between the white picket fence. Little Jackson peered through the fence and saw little Crystal, and right there an instant connection was built. Crystal smiled and waved, and Jackson enthusiastically beamed, flashing his cute smile with dimples.

She had long slightly wavy brown hair, big round hazel colored eyes that changed color under different lighting, and pale porcelain skin with hints of pink around her cheeks. When she smiled, her round eyes would curve into crescent moon-like shapes and sparkle. She was an adorable little girl and something about her was unique and special.

Despite appearances, little Crystal was a tomboy who liked to climb trees. And little Jackson was a pretty but wimpy boy who cried easily. Every morning, Crystal's mom would dress her up in pretty pastel colored dresses and every evening, Crystal would come home without her shoes and with dirt all over her dress.

Jackson never knew what kinds of trouble they could get into each day, but somehow, he would participate because of Crystal. His knees were scraped numerous times and he cried countless times, but he would still do it all over again.

Even now, he would do anything for Crystal. Including the crazy thing he's about do next.

Jackson places the wrinkled photo back inside his wallet and runs his hand through his brown hair. He's a sheep in wolf's clothing, about to walk into a room full of hungry wolves. Unsure if he can pull this off but he needs to do it for Crystal.

It's been 36 hours since her disappearance. He knew something had gone terribly wrong when he exited off the plane and a group of men in suits were waiting for him. Now with broken pieces of a messy puzzle, he needs to figure out what happened to her and how to save her.

Based on the looks of things, she could be dead, but he could feel it in his gut that she's alive somehow. It is just a matter of figuring out how to bring her back. And if the government decides to get involved, this is a lot more complicated type of deep trouble.

He is sure they are bringing him in for information, but unwilling to disclose what is truly going on. But he needs to get that information out of them and figure out how to save her. His mind might spin faster if he could get some sleep. He has barely closed his eyes since getting off the plane.

Still in the middle of his thoughts, the door swings abruptly open and a woman with a gray suit looks at him with a stern face, "They are ready for you. Please come with me."

Jackson nods and stands up. He straightens his suit, adjusts his tie, and buttons up his suit jacket. Feeling uncomfortable, he runs his hands through his hair again. He always feels stuffy in suits. His biceps would bulge in suit jackets whenever he bends his arm and his broad shoulders would feel uncomfortable. Doesn't matter if it is tailored, he just feels restricted in a suit. And he always equated ties for men as to what collars and leashes must feel like for dogs. Tell him when to bark already.