01 | Roger,

Confessional...Take 1

"What I can tell you about Lela is already given away in her walk. The moment I saw her walk in the ballroom, I knew what she was about. To be honest, I thought she was gonna turn a brotha down and that's something I've never felt that way before. It's how I know Lela is one of a kind."

Looking up at the sky dreamily, Roger thinks on the last time they were together. "When I'm with her she doesn't expect me to take the lead on everything, even though I do enjoy it and so does she.

Last Friday though, we just talked about literature and old movies for hours after some of the best sex. Settling down seemed like a foreign concept before Lela, but now... hmph, if she asked.. I wouldn't hesitate to put all my eggs in one basket.

Matter of fact, it's time I showed her how I can really be if we were together." He got off the hood of his car and hopped inside to call her. Winking at the camera, he waits for her to answer. "Hello?"

"We're having dinner tonight."

-FLASHBACK-
...
[Three Months Ago]

"Mimi, I thought you said this was going to be fun? All these people look like they got sticks up their asses

"Mimi, I thought you said this was going to be fun? All these people look like they got sticks up their asses." The ballroom was littered with wealthy businessmen and women, walking around and mingling.

"It is going to be fun. I told you my supervisor's mistress is planning on showing up and making a scene."

"And how do you know that?"

"Because she works on my floor. Word spreads fast in the ladies restroom. Trust me, you're not going to want to miss this." She takes a flute from a platter and I follow her lead even though I usually don't drink champagne.

"Look, those are the hosts. Roger Sr owns most of the construction downtown and all over the state. If he wasn't so old, I'd definitely get with him." She jokes, making us go into a fit of giggles. "He doesn't look that old. Maybe in his 60's? His soldier still probably marching."

She gives me a look like I'm crazy and I almost drop my champagne flute. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Girl you should've seen your face."

"Haha. Not all of us can find club owning married men—"

"Mimi, c'mon, he's separated and it's complicated.  Nippy and Ange were egging me on to dance with him. I couldn't have known his situation then."