Interview

Well, needless to say, they were interested in me, despite my educational and work background. I was asked to meet with the boss on Sunday afternoon to discuss some things like what I'd have to do and stuff. So I agreed. Not like I had a choice.

I drove over there and got my first good look at the place. The exterior was big and colorful, with a giant sign reading FREDDY FAZBEAR'S PIZZA in giant red letters.

I went inside and was instantly greeted by tons of little children running around. A good majority of them were by some sort of stage, where I could see three animatronic animals singing a cheesy tune.

The one in the middle, holding the microphone, was the bear I had seen in the advertisement. To his right was a purple bunny playing a red electric guitar and to his left was a yellow duck-looking thing playing a keyboard. They all looked really creepy and old, but the kids seemed to love them anyway.

I then made my way around the place and found the manager's office. I knocked on the open door and the manager looked up from his paperwork.

"Ah! You must be Mike Schmidt!" He said with a smile.

"Yes, sir!" I replied.

"Please, have a seat," he said as he signaled towards the chair in front of the desk, which I proceeded to sit in.

"So, you want to work the night shift?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," I replied.

"You said on the phone that you dropped out of high school and have no past work experience. Correct?"

"Yes, that's correct."

I felt stupid talking all professional, but that's how you get the job.

"Well, the truth is, you really don't need much to work the security night shift," he explained. "All you need to know how to do is look at screens and press buttons."

"Well, I play video games a lot, so I think I'm good there," I admitted.

The manager smiled.

"Now," he continued, "if you get this job, your main focus is the animatronic characters on the stage."

"Why?"

"Well, we don't want anything to happen to them; they're old and almost irreplaceable.  We'd fix them, but money's kind of tight for us right now."

"Oh."

I didn't really know how to reply to that.

"Which reminds me," he then proceeded, "if you're unhappy with your payroll, I understand. Of course, perhaps your pay isn't that important to you, or else you wouldn't have called!"

"You got me there," I said with a chuckle. "I'm mainly here because my sister forced me to. She wants me to make my parents like me again."

"I see," he said with a nod. "Well, if you're going to be watching the characters, you may as well get to know them!"

He then pointed to a picture on the wall of the three animals I had seen on stage when I entered.

"Right there in the middle is our main attraction, Freddy Fazbear," he said while pointing at the teddy bear. "Right there is Bonnie the Bunny, and that's Chica the Chicken."

"That's a chicken?" I asked in shock. "It looked like a duck!"

"Yeah, a lot of people think that," The manager said with a chuckle.

"Wait, who's that?" I asked while pointing to another picture.

The character in there was a red fox or something with an eyepatch and a hook on his hand. He also had a big jaw with sharp-looking teeth.

"Oh, that's Foxy the Pirate," he replied. "He was our main attraction at Pirate Cove, but we haven't used him in years!"

"Why?"

"There was an... accident almost 30 years ago involving him," he said nervously. "It's not something we like to talk about."

"I see," I said casually.

I wonder what happened...

"Well, I think that just about covers it!" He finally said with a smile. "Still interested?"

I thought for a minute. It seemed like a simple enough job, and it would make my family happy!

"I am," I replied.

"Well, consider yourself hired!"

He then extended his hand, which I politely shaked.

"You start tonight, 12 am!" He said. "Be here a bit earlier, though, so I can help you get settled."

"Sounds good!" I replied.

Well, I officially had a job now! It actually kinda felt great! Now I just gotta find a way to stay awake all night.