5 - Sparks

"Whether it's clear to you or not, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

–Max Ehrmann

Saturday - Day of the Meeting 8:20am

Dylan was fidgeting in his seat. It was just a two and a half hour flight from Beijing to Shanghai but he couldn't relax. He has taken hundreds of flights there over the past years but he has never felt this uncomfortable.

He was prepared to face her, to do anything to convince her, yes, but he was anxious and he couldn't hide it.

What made it worse was, a few rows ahead of him, a couple of teenage girls were watching Meteor Garden.

His Meteor Garden.

They were watching the episode where Ah Si fakes his amnesia and Shan Cai spouts her love confession.

He memorizes this scene already but he couldn't stop watching. He stayed glued to it until he saw himself placing that gentle kiss on Shen Yue's forehead.

The sight of Shen Yue and the memories of that show made it even harder for him to stay put.

Could this flight take any longer??

Why was the complete show even available in-flight??

He looked to his right at a sleeping Hao and David across the aisle. Then he looked to his left to an also sleeping Wu Xi Ze (who Dylan may or may have not have pleaded endlessly, like a baby, to tag along with him in this trip).

Why couldn't he be them right now?

He annoyingly turned off the screen in front of him which showed it had only been 10 minutes since their take off. Counting down those 2 hours won't help at all.

He pressed the attendant button and waited for a stewardess to approach his area.

"Yes sir?" the flight attendant politely asked with a smile.

"Do you have any beer?" Dylan asked.

"Unfortunately we only have Moutai liquor on board this flight. Would you like to try that instead, sir?"

He furrowed his brow. He has never tasted Moutai liquor before. He knew it was premium and strong, but he was dying for any kind alcohol in his system right now to calm his agitated self.

"I'll have a glass please. Make it two. My friend here will have one as well, hao ba (okay)?" He asked her with his boyish grin, pointing to the sleeping Xi Ze.

The flight attendant smiled, nodded and proceeded to walked away to prepare the drinks.

XiZe will definitely not be tasting any drop of Moutai today.

----------------------------------------------------------

Saturday - Day of the Meeting 11:45am

"I t-think...m-maybe... wu (five)...no, no...posit...positively..e-eight..ba...yeah, ba (eight)!" Dylan raised both hands showing his ten fingers.

"EIGHT?" Hao shouted, restraining himself from strangling Dylan right now. He couldn't believe that this flushed, slurring, drunken mess in front of him had eight full glasses of the strongest Moutai liquor on an empty stomach.

"XiZe, why didn't you stop him? You know how he can't hold his alcohol!? I swear I'm going to lose it right now. How the hell are we pushing through with this meeting? Will he even be able to talk straight?" he berated at XiZe.