We've Got to Go

As the group stood there, looking at the field of death that surrounded them, they knew that they couldn't stay anymore, not with the weight of the negative denotations forever haunting their memories. It was best if they simply left to go somewhere new, far out into the countryside, away from civilisation.

It then began to snow again, Max and Alice zipping up their jackets as they watched the white specs fall from the dark sky full of grey clouds.

Alice stepped over a couple of corpses, some she had caused and others had possibly died from random bullet wounds. It was a bloody mess and they were the cause.

"Let's pack the food up and take the car," Leon let out, his voice barely audible.

The two younger cousins looked at each other with sympathy for Leon visible in their eyes, they walked inside together and packed all of their food and what was left of their water supply into shopping bags from various markets such as Lee's and Gooders.

Once Nate, Leon, Joel and Olivia had gone back inside, Max and Alice stood out in the darkness together, watching the fire blaze with fury.

"I can't believe how many people I've killed..." She started, falling to the chilled ground as the last of the flames went out in front of them.

"I've killed so many... Oh god, I'll have to live with this forever... What has this world turned us into?" She cried, stuttering on nearly every word spoken.

"You did it to protect us... Imagine if you hadn't done it, and we all died. It would be just awful," Max tried to calm her down, only succeeding slightly as she still continued to cry.

"If we're going to survive, it's not gonna get any better. We'll do this until the day we die. But let's try and avoid killing anyone anymore, as best we can," he looked down at the pebbles that they stood on, soaked in blood and corpses.

Alice wiped her cheeks and looked back at the house. "I still can't believe that everyone is alive," she smiled slightly.

"Yeah, because of you," he forced a smile and they got up and went into the house together, hopefully finally leaving another chapter of their lives behind them.

They saw everyone shakily placing food items into shopping bags, the fight having them all weary and distraught with what life had become after merely over half a year in the apocalypse.

Max and Alice silently loaded their bags, getting ready to go as Woody suddenly bounded over and wagged his tail, making Max laugh.

"No, Woody. You can't have any of the food," he smiled down at him as Woody's paws impatiently pattered on the ground as he sat, waiting for food.

"We've got plenty of dog food, though!" He raised his pitch, exciting the golden Labrador further as he poured crunchy dog biscuits into a bowl from the cupboard above him and placed it on the cream floor, Woody went right for it and chomped away.

As they walked through the house, they couldn't help but notice the bullet holes, dust and broken material which once made up a beautiful home, only six months ago.

Family portraits and pictures dotted the walls, a typical sight was of a brown haired girl and a blonde haired one together. It made Max think about what it'd be like if they went back to normal all of a sudden and he could see his mum one last time, alive and well.

"C'mon, Max," Joel hurried him, everyone piling their luggage into the boot of the white car sat outside the garage to the left of the house.

He wandered over and helped out, carefully placing the food and other items in the boot to make sure the food wouldn't get squashed- even though the majority of it was canned.