Phantom of The Opera

Start from the beginning

"Vicomte de Chagny, is there no end to your flatter? What would William not have said if he'd heard you." I humorously scolded the man kissing my hand and bowing for me like was I some sort of royalty.

"William, did not mind my mindless flatter and flirt, my brother knew you belonged to him as long as he lived and after that too, wedding or naught. Your late fiancée was the only man ever worthy of you. He is greatly missed. Without the two of you running around the house, it seems so lonely. It's like even the building itself is mourning."

"Raoul it has been years.. I doubt-" I began, but the Vicomte softly cut me off. "Three years next month Clio." I freeze, shocked by the reminder of the anniversary of my love's death and shocked by the use of my nickname.

"Calliope, will you sit over here please, I had one of the girls go fetch you a chair dear." I tear my eyes from Raoul's, full of naught but sympathy, and look to the madame Giry with soft eyes trying to not think about my William. "You didn't need to Madame, I am fine standing."

"Nonsense! Come, sit down girl." I smile and chuckle as she insists and pulls me away from Raoul and sits me down in a chair, resting my cane against it. "If you want to dance on it, you have to rest it." Giry instructs me pointing to my foot before returning to her ballet dancers and the rehearsal.

All the colours swirling by, the song, the dance, it was truly beautiful, but I found myself not able to focus at all.

"This way, gentlemen, this way. Rehearsals, as you see, are under way for a new production of Chalumeau's 'Hannibal'." Lefèvre spoke shaking me out of my daydream as he and two other men, which I assume are the new managers, step out onto the scene.
Lefèvre doesn't notice me at first which I do not really mind. He is quiet for a while until sensing a hiatus in the rehearsal, where he then attempt to attract the attention of everyone on stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Some of you may already, perhaps, have met Monsieur André and Monsieur Firmin.." The new managers politely bow, until M. Reyer the chief répétiteur interrupts annoyed.
"-I'm sorry, M. Lefèvre, we are rehearsing. If you wouldn't mind waiting a moment?"

Lefèvre bows apologetically. "My apologies, Monsieur Reyer. Proceed, proceed.."

"Thank you, monsieur." M. Reyer says before turning back to Piangi.

"M. Reyer, our chief répétiteur, rather a tyrant, I'm afraid." Lefèvre starts listing and pointing out different people to the new directors.
I can't help but smile as he points to Piangi next, eager to know what adjectives he will use to describe the chubby little man.
"Signor Piangi, our principal Tenor. He does play so well opposite La Carlotta."

I flinch as Madame Giry, exasperated by their presence, bangs her cane angrily on the stage.
"Gentlemen please! If you would kindly stand to one side?" She points over to where I sit and I politely smile at them.

"My apologies, Madame Giry." Lefèvre says leading André and Firmin over to me. Raoul joins them, walking slowly behind.
"Madame Giry, our Ballet Mistress. I don't mind confessing, Monsieur Firmin, I shan't be sorry to be rid of the whole blessed business." He says keeping his voice low so she doesn't hear him.

"I keep asking you, monsieur, why exactly are you retiring?" Firmin asks puzzled.
I notice Lefèvre's eyes get distant for a second before he moves on ignoring the question completely and instead calling his attention to the continuing ballet.

"We take a particular pride here in the excellence of our ballets." Right as he says it I look and notice Christine out of step. Madame Giry taps her cane harshly into the floor having noticed the girl too.

"You! Christine Daaé Concentrate girl!"

I carefully get up from my chair, leaving my cane there as I go to the ballerina girls' spot on the stage.
"Christine, let me help you." I whisper standing beside her. She looks hesitantly at me but simply nods her head yes.