Chapter 64: End All This

Start from the beginning

On the second month, our teams must make the journey to hike up the mountain to the second "checkpoint". By checkpoint I mean, we move from our first cabin to our second cabin higher up the mountain.

Every team must move to the second cabin, if they wish to survive. There are only so much supplies in the first cabin, and if you want to live, then you have to go to the second cabin to get more food, water and heat.

For the past few months, we have been trained intensively to learn how to face the harsh weather. From blizzards to snowstorms, and what to do if there's an avalanche.

Parents requested a 24 hour watch over all the students, and Wings Senior High is working together Jaeger Medical Center to make sure there's a paramedic team on standby.

Because this is considered quite a dangerous expedition, every single person is equipped with a red flare as a SOS signal.

If a red flare is shot, then the expedition will be stopped and all students will be picked up immediately and relocated to safe grounds.

You are only to shoot the flare if you believe you or another person's life is in critical condition.

Shoot it as a prank, and you risk getting expelled.

I leaned back on my chair, sighing loudly. This whole thing is going to be exhausting, I can just imagine it.

Living on the hill of a mountain. I mean, seriously?

I frowned, staring at the ceiling while I thought about everything that can go wrong. Groaning, I ran a hand through my hair and got up from my chair.

I really should go get something to eat rather than sit here and think about the universe.

Changing out of my pyjamas, I headed for the door and turned the knob, hearing it click. As I pulled it open, a flash of brown appeared in my sight before I was harshly thrown back onto the floor.

I let out a sharp grunt as I made contact with the floor, followed by the person collapsing on top of me.

I squinted my eyes open, catching a glimpse of a familiar ginger hair. "P-Petra?"

"(Y/N)!" She gasped out, putting more weight on me, making me wince in pain.

"Petra... off!"

I rolled her to the side and quickly snatched a deep breath, sitting up. "What the hell are you doing?!"

Petra coughed, one of her hands clutching her chest. She shoved her phone to me and wheezed out pathetically,  "You... have to... hear that... now!"

I took her phone, gazing down at the 15 minute recording on it. "What's this?"

"Just listen to it..."

I glanced back and forth from Petra and the phone in confusion, eventually clicking the play button.

"-ell I'm not doing it anymore....-"

***

"--eavesdropping, haven't ya kid?"

"Eeeeep--"

The recording stopped there. The phone gently slipped from my hand and slumped to the floor.

Petra stared at me with a concerned expression on her face. "(Y/N)...?"

Petra's voice flew by my ear. Out of that whole conversation, there were a lot of things that was questionable.

But two things stood out the most for me.

"Well I'm not doing it anymore."

"I'm not going to avoid her anymore Kenny. I will not lose the one person I love. I'm not going to become a hopeless bastard like you."

Was Levi doing all this to me... because Kenny told him to? Why?

There was also something that caught my interest. Something Levi had said to Kenny.

"Even after you stayed away from her, it still got to you didn't it? So in the end, you still lose. You gave up the woman you loved, and it still managed to get a grasp on you."

When Levi said "gave up the woman you loved" to Kenny, did he mean my mother?

I mean, as far as I know, Kenny had been dating my mother for some time during highschool, which is kind of disturbing now that I think about it.

But what did Levi mean by "it still managed to get a grasp on you"?

What's 'it'?

I shook my head, pushing the thoughts to the back of my mind, and instead focused on two sentences Levi said.

"...Not going to avoid me anymore," I murmured slowly, staring at the ground.

"(Y/N)?"

I glanced up, gazing at Petra. "Where's Levi?" I asked seriously.

"I-I left him at the cafe," Petra stammered.

I nodded, getting up and heading for the door.

"Where are you going?"

I slipped my jacket on, pausing as I stepped outside the room.

"To end all this."