Chapter 3

Song : Finger Paint by Zion I, D.U.S.T and Susan Suh

I started walking upstairs with Jaden following behind me. I felt eyes staring at my ass.

"Quit staring" I growled looking back at Jaden. His eyes snapped to mine.
"Don't trip. There ain't nothing to stare at." He pushes in front of me walks upstairs. He waits at the top for me. I reach the top of the stairs and bump his shoulder as I walk to Elliot's old room.
"Here, Casa da Parker" I say and twirl around the room.
"Bathroom's down the hall, the towels are in the closet across from it. You know where the kitchen is. If you need anything, don't ask me" I walk out of the room and into my own. I walk to my record player and play a random vinyl. I dance around my room and pick up a bit. I hear a knock on my door and turn down the record player. It was Jay with my Nike bag in hand.
"Its a beautiful dress," he says. Out of all my brothers, Jay was probably the best to have a heart-to-heart conversation with. He's wise beyond his years and gives the best pep talks.
"Thank you, Ms.B got it for me to wear tomorrow"
"Ah she finally told you"
"You knew?"
"Yeah, she told me when she told Elliot and Randy. She wanted to surprise you" he sat on my bed while I spun around on my desk chair.
"Do you know what song we're performing yet?"
"I think Elliot had one in mind" We talked for a bit until the voice of our mother rang through the house calling everyone downstairs.

~

We all met in the living room. Ma sat in the brown leather recliner with dad in the one across the room and the boys sat on the couch or floor.

"So Jaden's gonna be stayin' with us for a bit. He's gonna be helpin' out at the salon AND club so everyone better be nice" She stares at me when she says the last part. We all nod along with what she's saying.
"Okay now Randy and Jay in the kitchen helping out with dinner, Toni go with Jaden and get his stuff from his house." My eyes widen.
"Why can't Randy go, it's his friend? "
"Toni" she growls, I quickly get up and run out of the house.
"Let's go Jaden" I yell as I'm running out. I walk across the street and hear Jaden running up behind me. He opens the door and walks upstairs. I follow behind him. We're in his room and he packs a bag as I lay back on his bed. I stare at the ceiling as he does whatever.
"So why'd you chose to stay with us"
"Randy offered" I turned onto my stomach and watched as he threw deodorant into his bag.
"No like why don't you stay here, it's only four days"
"You ask a lot of questions, ya know?"
"I only asked two and got one answer"
"Smartass"
"Hey!" He chuckles and continues packing.
"I ever got an answer" he sighs but still decides to answer.
"My ma thinks my father's getting outta jail soon so she doesn't want me stayin' here alone with him"
"Third question, why doesn't she want you to stay here with him"
"We got in a fight last time" he quickly answers.
"Come on let's go" He throws his bag over his shoulder and grabs my hand to pull me up.

We walk across the street and back to my place. Randy walks out of the kitchen as we walk through the door. He's about to say something but stops when he looks don. I follow his eyes and look at my hand, it was still holding Jaden's. I quickly let go and take a few steps to the right to create distance between us.
"Dinner's ready" he says and walks back into the kitchen.

I run after Randy and sit at the table, Elliot went back home to his fiancée so Jaden sat at his seat. Everyone was grabbing food left and right at the table, as I was placing some potatoes on my plate Jaden joins the table. He sits across from me and starts filling his plate. Dinner was quite loud as usual with everyone talking about their day or plans, Jaden even jumped into the conversation. Throughout the dinner, Jaden would look up at me but never start a conversation with me. I stayed silent until our dad talked about tomorrow night and the performance.

"So Jason told us Ms.B got you a dress for tomorrow"
"Yea, she asked me to wear it"
"Do you know what song you're performing?"

"It's a surprise" Randy said.
"You're gonna be there right Ma?" I asked.
"Wouldn't miss it" she said and grabbed my hand.

After dinner was done the boys went to their rooms and I was helping Ma clean up in the kitchen. I was doing the dishes as she dried and put them away.

"Mrs.Parker I can help Toni out, why don't you go relax"
"Thank you Jaden" she says handing him a rag.
"But don't think sucking up to me will get you out of salon work" she said and pointed at him as she leaves the kitchen and goes to the living room probably to watch tv with my dad.
"Hey Ms. Toni Marley"
"Jaden" we continue washing the dishes in silence. I had Jaden the last dish and dry off my hands. I was about to leave the kitchen when I'm pulled back in. I look up and see Jaden holding my hand...again. I pull it back and hold my hands together behind my back.
"I just wanted to say thanks, ya know for letting me stay here"
"Trust me, if I had a say you wouldn't be stayin' here" I quickly turn around and run to my room. I close my door and bang my head against the door.

"Stupid Toni" I whisper to myself.