Chapter 2

Chapter 2 -

Song: Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem) by Jay-Z

After packing up the food and gel I headed back home with the Nike bag on my back. It was around 3 in the afternoon now, the neighborhood kids were running around on their summer break while adults sat on their front porch watching the streets. I was turning a corner when I bumped into a hard chest. I dropped the small cardboard box that held a few containers of hairstyling gel.

"Hey watch it!" A deep voice yelled. Oh shit, I'm fucked. Wait I didn't even do anything wrong. I looked up only to roll my eyes.
"Shut it Jaden, maybe if you lowered your ego you'd be able to see properly"
"Watch your mouth Parker" he growled
"And whatcha gonna do, you might got everyone else fooled but I see through your act" shock flashed over his eyes but he quickly turned back to stone.
"Whatever" and with that, he left. What a jackass. He bumps into me, makes me drop containers of gel and doesn't even help me pick it up. I picked up the containers and headed home. I put my earbuds back in and enjoyed the time I had to myself.

~

As soon as I entered the house I'm knocked over by my father yelling -
"MAC N CHEESE" he grabbed to bag and ran to the kitchen. Jay came downstairs and saw me on the floor, he walked over and held a hand out for me to grab,
"Why you on the floor?"
"Dad wanted Ms.B's Mac n Cheese" and I'm on the floor again with Jay running towards the kitchen to sneak some Mac n Cheese. I moaned in pain and just laid on the floor. I heard the front door open and close followed by a laugh.

"Yo Parker what are you doing on the floor"
"Ma! There's a rat in the house!" I heard my mom running downstairs and sat up a bit. She had a black tee shirt on paired with pink joggers and her head wigless. My attention went straight to the broom in her hands.
"Where?"
"Right there" I pointed towards Jaden. Randy who came in with Jaden starts laughing and clutching his stomach while Jaden gives a death stare.
"Boy, what'd I tell you" Mom growls at Randy after he calms down.
"Ma, Randy's mom, and sibling went to Louisiana to visit family and she doesn't trust Jaden alone so can he stay here for a bit?" I almost choke on my spit.
"If his mama don't trust him what posses you to think I will?"
"Amen"
"Sorry Jaden, you ain't stayin' here"
"Halleigluh" mom gives me a look telling me to shut my mouth and I automatically do so. Elliot walks back upstairs with a bowl of Mac n Cheese in hand slightly laughing and pointing at me. I throw him a glare.

"Mrs.Parker I promise I'll be no trouble, you can even have Toni be my babysitter"
"Hell no" I said. I look at my mother to back me up but instead, she looks like she's thinking about his offer.
"You can stay in Elliot's old room. How long is your mama gone"
"4 days ma'ma"
"If you're stayin' here, you better believe you're helping out around here and that includes the salon and club" I look at her like she's absolutely insane.
"Ma you're not serious" She gives me the look again. I got up and stomp toward the kitchen.

"Daddy" I said dragging it out.
"Hmmm" he answers with a mouth full of Mac n Cheese.
"momma's letting Jaden stay here while his momma's in Lousiana" he starts choking on his Mac n Cheese.
"what?"
"His momma's outta town and Randy asked if he could stay here, ma said yes but he has to help at the salon and club" my dad lets out a sigh and I go grab a fork out of one of the drawers.
"where's he gonna be stayin', we don't have an extra room" he asks as I eat out of his bowl.
"Elliot's old room" he nods.
"You okay with that?" I raise an eyebrow at him.
"Well your momma said yes and I sure as hell ain't gonna try to change her mind" I nod understanding when my mom has her mind set on something there's no changing it. She as raised to do the right thing, her mom was a black panther and passed her knowledge onto her. 

Mom walks into the kitchen with the box of gel in her hand. Randy and Jaden follow behind her.
"Toni go show Jaden to his room, Randy's gonna help out at the salon"
"But Ma"
"No buts, go" I get up from my seat and start walking to the stairs.
"I don't even like him" I mumble under my breath.
"what was that"
"Nothing, let's go Jaden"

It's a hard knock life.