four

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

EIGHT LETTERS

CHAPTER FOUR[ L E O ]

CHAPTER FOUR
[ L E O ]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

"WHO IS AUNT Rosa?" Hazel asked.

Leo didn't want to talk about her. Nemesis' words were still buzzing in his ears. His tool belt seemed heavier since he'd put the cookie in there — which was impossible. Its pockets could carry anything without adding extra weight. Even the most fragile things would never break. Still, Leo imagined he could feel it in there, dragging him down, waiting to be cracked open.

"Long story," he said. "She abandoned me after my mom died, gave me to foster care."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah, well . . ." Leo was anxious to change the subject. "What about you? What Nemesis said about your brother?"

Hazel blinked like she'd gotten salt in her eyes. "Nico . . . he found me in the Underworld. He brought me back to the mortal world and convinced the Romans at Camp Jupiter to accept me. I owe him for my second chance at life. If Nemesis is right, and Nico's in danger . . . I have to help him."

"Sure," Leo said, though the idea made him uneasy. He doubted the revenge Goddess ever gave advice out of the goodness of her heart. "And what Nemesis said about your brother having six days to live, and Rome getting destroyed . . . any idea what she meant?"

"None," Hazel admitted. "But I'm afraid . . ."

Whatever she was thinking, she decided not to share it. She climbed one of the largest boulders to get a better view. Leo tried to follow and lost his balance. Hazel caught his hand. She pulled him up and they found themselves atop the rock, holding hands, face-to-face.

Hazel's eyes glittered like gold.

Gold is easy, she'd said. It didn't seem that way to Leo — not when he looked at her. He wondered who Sammy was. Leo had a nagging suspicion that he should know, but he just couldn't place the name. Whoever he was, he was lucky if Hazel cared for him.

"Um, thanks." He let go of her hand, but they were still standing so close, he could feel the warmth of her breath. She definitely didn't seem like a dead person.

"When we were talking to Nemesis," Hazel said uneasily, "your hands . . . I saw flames."

"Yeah," he said. "It's a Hephaestus power. Usually I can keep it under control."