Before long a waitress arrived at their table, two small coffees on a tray which she carried with care. She tried but failed to conceal her wide smile upon seeing the two together.

"One café latte for Jiminie, and a macchiato for the special boy."

"He's my boyfriend, Jaeun," Jimin corrected, which earned him a laugh from his coworker.

"That's what I meant by 'special boy'."

Yoongi pouted. "But I'm a man."

"My special man."

"Are you two engaged yet?"

"Jaeun!!"

Jaeun erupted with laughter and nearly dropped the tray she was holding—luckily she had already removed the coffees so nothing spilt, but she still received a rather reprimanding look from Jimin who was now red in the face.

"I'll take that as a no," she said, still giggling. "I'm sorry, Jimin, Yoongi. I couldn't resist. So is it just coffee for you guys today or will you be ordering a meal?"

"I'll have kimchi soup!" Jimin blurted without even picking up his menu. "I've been meaning to try it."

"Alrighty, kimchi soup for Jiminie, aaand~" She paused after jotting down the order on a small notepad. "What'll it be for you, Yoongi?"

"Bulgogi."

"Don't you always get that?"

"Are you judging me, Miss Jaeun?"

"Not at all," she chimed, sporting a grin. Jaeun found this man to be quite amusing. And he and Jimin made for an even more amusing pair. "He's a man of routine, is he, Jiminie?"

"He can be."

"Excuse me-?"

"But other times he can be really unpredictable," Jimin quickly added, raising his eyebrows. "Like today, he said he had a question to ask me, and I literally have no idea what it could be!"

It came as no surprise to Yoongi that Jaeun drew the immediate conclusion of a proposal—he didn't know her extremely well, but from the times he and Jimin came here and she happened to be their waitress, Yoongi was able to gather enough information about what kind of personality she had.

"Alright then," Jaeun said, scarcely able to contain herself as she was already imagining Jimin's reaction to 'the question'. "I'll go deliver this to our cooks. You sit tight now, 'k? Should be no more than fifteen minutes."

"Thanks, Jaeun!"

With that, the waitress left swiftly, her long braided hair swaying behind her.

Yoongi cleared his throat and turned to Jimin. "Sometimes I forget what an oddball she is."

"She's great," Jimin chuckled. "Jaeun's been working here longer than I have. She's the first friend I made here."

"Not Namjoon?"

"Namjoon started after me."

"Ah, okay."

"Yup. She reminded me a lot of Tae and I guess that's why I felt comfortable around her. Good people lessen the stress of the job, ya know?"

"I suppose that's true." He offered a gentle smile. "If that's the case I'm grateful for her."

"Mm." Nodding, Jimin wrapped his fingers around his coffee cup and raised it to take a careful sip of his latte. "So..." He paused, waiting till Yoongi finished taking a sip of his own coffee. "What did you wanna ask me?"

At this, Yoongi pursed his lips, taking a moment to sort his thoughts so he could find a way to say what he wanted to say without making it sound like a big deal. Of course, it kind of was a big deal, but perhaps, he thought, that fact would make Jimin feel hesitant about agreeing.

"So, uh..." He cleared his throat again. "We're about to start this project for our music course-"

"A project??" Jimin leaned forward excitedly. "What kind of project??"

"I was getting to that."

The orange-haired boy mouthed an apology and sat back as Yoongi continued.

"Essentially, we're meant to produce a song. An original, with music, lyrics, the whole deal."

"That's amazing!" The boy's eyes were practically sparkling in wonder, and Yoongi was almost tempted to plant a kiss on those cute, smiling lips. "Yoongi, this is great, this is what you've been studying for, isn't it??"

"Absolutely," he replied. "And I won't deny that I've been a little excited to get started ever since our professor first told us about it. But there's a little...uh, well, I don't really wanna say issue? But it's something I put off for a while because...reasons. Anyway, the point is, for the song, we're required to have vocals."

Jimin, still clueless, made a soft noise of understanding and gave a small nod.

"We're allowed to do the singing ourselves, or we also have the option of having someone else provide the vocals."

Jimin nodded again. Then it hit him, as he registered Yoongi was now looking at him in a way that said 'this is what I asked you here for.' And Jimin's eyes shot open, complexion momentarily becoming pale. He pointed a finger at himself. Yoongi dipped his head in confirmation.

"Wh-..." For a solid minute, Jimin just blinked as he tried to formulate words instead of disbelieving sounds. He swallowed his breath. "You're...you're asking me...?"

"No, I'm asking the guy behind you."

Jimin whisked his head around.

"No, Jimin, I-" Yoongi heaved a sigh of exasperation. "Yes, I'm asking you. I want you to sing for me."

He was speechless. Jimin was utterly speechless, and he could hardly think of what to say as Yoongi firmly and expectantly locked eyes with him. "Why me?"

"Because a couple of idiots managed to convince me," he admitted, then honestly added, "and besides, I don't doubt you've got a beautiful singing voice, Jimin. And I...I'd love to hear it."

Jimin could hear the earnest feeling in the other's words. And he thought it sweet, more than that, even, that Yoongi would assume something like that.

"But Yoongi..." Jimin paused after letting his boyfriend's name fall softly from his mouth. "...remember you swore you'd sing for me, too."

"I know. And I will, because that was part of the dumb agreement Jin tricked me into." Groaning internally, Yoongi folded his arms across his stomach as his gaze drifted away from Jimin. But just for a few seconds. When he looked back again, Yoongi found Jimin's eyes flooded with such a sweet, innocent excitement that also tugged at the corners of the boy's lips.

"We can sing together?"

These words, and the hopeful tone in which they were spoken made Yoongi's heart flutter, driving those pesky nerves of his fully away to allow a more pleasant feeling to settle.

"Yeah...we can sing together, Jimin."

"I'll probably fall in love with you all over again, just a fair warning."

Yoongi stifled a laugh. Gosh he makes me so freaking happy. "Quite a flattering assumption. But in return, I'll give you an equally fair warning."

"And what's that?"

"Expect a lot of reward kisses."

Jimin's round cheeks flushed with color again, and shyly he avoided Yoongi's gaze as he sensed the other staring at him affectionately.

And he whispered, "Is that a promise?"

"It's a promise, sweetheart."

*

*

*

*

a/n:
i should be sleeping but i decided to finish this chapter instead 🙃