129

Yoongi had a late shift on this specific night. It was nearing 9:00 P.M., which was the time the mall closed, and so that meant his workplace, too, was closing soon. At this point there were very few customers left in the bookstore, and a couple in the coffeeshop which was inside the bookstore.

So 9:00 P.M. came around and Yoongi was ready to start wrapping things up to go home. An announcement had been made just moments ago, alerting the remaining customers that the store would be closing, and the majority of them had left. But as Yoongi was straightening the shelves nearest to the registers he heard something.

The soft whimpering of a teenage girl.

Yoongi stopped what he was doing and sighed. What part of 'we're closing' don't people seem to understand?

—a/n:
sincerely, a low-tolerance retail employee

He made a gentle approach, trying to be considerate as he confirmed that yes, this girl with her head buried in her arms on the table was indeed crying, so maybe he shouldn't be rude by straight-up telling her to get a move on. Stopping once he reached the table, Yoongi awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Hello...miss."

The girl didn't respond at first.

"Miss..." Yoongi cleared his throat again. "I'm sorry, but we're closed-"

"Can't I just stay?" The girl sobbed, still not lifting her head. "Please, I just-...I can't leave, I just need to stay for a while..."

"...you wanna tell me what's wrong?"

"Oh, you wouldn't care, you're just some-"

And as she was forcing this grating comment out of her sore throat, the girl finally looked up, and she immediately flinched at the sight of Yoongi standing over her.

"You're...J-Jiminie's boyfriend, aren't you?"

Yoongi raised his eyebrows. He paused, digging into the back of his head to retrieve a name. "...You...jin? Tae's sister."

She nodded and tried to quickly wipe away her tears with the sleeve of her sweater. "Please don't tell him I'm here, though, please."

It struck him as odd, to say the least. Yoongi recalled the last few times Youjin had stolen Taehyung's phone to talk with her brother's friends in their group chat, and she was so lively, and fun, and without a doubt reminded Yoongi of Taehyung. But here she was now, with puffy red eyes and tear-stained cheeks, makeup smeared but she didn't seem to care much about that.

Well, she's human, after all.

Yoongi pulled out a seat and sat down.

"Why don't you want me to tell Taehyung, Youjin?"

The girl sniffled, wiping another tear and she glanced away. "I don't want him to worry," she mumbled. "He'll probably make a big deal out of the whole thing and make me cry even more."

"Well, isn't it a big deal?" Yoongi asked. "If you're crying this hard, it's got to be, right? I'm sure your feelings mean a lot to him."

Youjin sniffled again.

"If there's anyone who could comfort you, wouldn't it be your brother?"

"...I-"

"I'm gonna call him, okay? He'll come pick you up."

Yoongi took out his phone, once again greeted by the familiar sight of a hundred notifications from the group chat. He was about to ignore them but at Youjin's name catching his eye, he decided to quickly read through the conversation he missed.