Your Hand in Mine, we Walk the Miles

Emily sat on her bed, tears flooding down her face. Today was one of those days where every bad thing that happened caught up with her. The weight of grieving and hatred weighed her down so much, to the point that she broke. 

Jimmy was outside, walking out back in the woods, getting inspiration for some songs. To him, this was like Bron-Yr-Aur. 

Emily ran downstairs and ripped open the medicine cabinet, and yanked the bottle of pain killers out, and then another bottle. She then went around the corner, and grabbed a bottle of vodka from the liquor cabinet. With tears now cascading down her face, and her heart going a million miles per hour, she ran back up to her room, and placed everything on her bed. 

Emily stood there motionless for a second, and took a deep breath. She walked over to her desk, each footstep making the floorboards creak. She leaned over her desk, and grabbed a piece of paper, and a pen, and began to scribble on the paper. 

Jimmy

I'm so so sorry. I'm so sorry. 

I broke, I lost it. I couldn't do it anymore. 

What was the point of me living if anything that made me happy, always came to an end, or my memories hanted me and made everything disappear?

The darkness overtook my mind.. and I don't know...

I just don't know. 

I'm sorry

I love you so much Jimmy.

Take this ring, and don't remember me. 

Make some other girl the luckiest girl in the world, and pretend I was never part of your life.

I love you

and I'm sorry

~Emily

Emily stood up, and folded the piece of paper in on itself, and placed it on the ground by the bottles of asprin. She took a deep breath as she took off her engagement ring, and slid in down into the letter carefully. Emily's body made a thump as she sat on her floor. Her whole house was completely quiet. Emily looked up at her ceiling.

"I'll see you soon Bob, okay? Meet Momma at heaven." Emily said with hot tears welling up in her eyes. Emily popped off the lid to the pills, and shook the whole bottle into her freezing palm. As she tilted her head back, and closed her eyes, she felt her heart sink. Her hand shook the pills into her mouth. She struggled to swallow all of the pills at once, making her cough and wheeze. She quickly grabbed the bottle of vodka, and ripped off the cap, and took the bottle to her pale lips. The clear liquid sloshed down her throat, and made her insides burn. Emily gasped for air, and coughed. 

She shook her head, and grabbed the rest of the pills, and shook them down her throat, making her choke once again. With her vision getting blurry, she grabbed the vodka again, and drank as much as she could, ignoring the burning in her stomach. Tears now trickled down her sweating face. Emily looked up at the ceiling again, and wanted this process to quicken. 

Emily arose to her feet with difficulty. She staggered around her room, and her hands fumbled with all the drawers on her dresser, until she found her knife, and clicked open the blade. She took the blade to her wrist, and dragged it across her wrist. She couldn't feel a thing. All she could do was smile as she collasped on the floor, and she slowly closed her eyes. 

Jimmy felt uneasy all of the sudden. He had a nervous sensation in his gut, and his heart began to race. 

"Emily." he said in a whisper. He began to run back to her house, twigs cracking underneath his feet, leaves crinkling, birds flying away, and the occasional splash of a puddle were the only noises besides Jimmy's nervous breathing. After five minutes of non-stop sprinting through weeds and mud, Jimmy ran up the stairs to Emily's home. He frantically ripped open the door, and ran with all he had left up to her room. 

He stopped breathing once he saw her lying there on the floor. He ran over to her, and started shaking her. 

"Emily.. EMILY WAKE UP! EMILY PLEASE FUCKING WAKE UP!" Jimmy screamed. He quickly grabbed her wrist, and pushed his thumb down on her vein. She had a close to nothing pulse. Jimmy quickly scanned her room and found her cell phone, and desperately called the hospital. 

He held her hand as he waited in tears for an ambulance to come. His eyes then caught the piece of paper next to the empty bottles. He sadly opened it, and began to sob when the engagement ring fell out onto the floor. He could barely read the words through his tears. He leaned down, and buried his head in her hair and sobbed uncontrollably. 

Minutes later, the ambulance came. Jimmy put the ring in his pocket, and ran with the paramedics to the ambulance. 

                                                                                 ***

Jimmy sat next to Emily in the ICU. She was still unconscious. Then, the doctor came in with a concerned face. 

"Mr.Page, a part of her liver is failing, and is going to die. Without that part of her liver, she could die." The doctor said with a hint of sadness in his voice. Jimmy slowly turned to Emily, and began to cry. Jimmy squeezed her hand tight. 

"However, we have your data on file here Mr.Page." there was a silence that seemed to last eternity as the doctor looked at his clipboard. 

"You're a perfect match for her." Jimmy stopped breathing, and a small smile lept across his face. 

"I'll do it." Jimmy said. The doctor faintly smiled. 

"We'll get you prepped for the surgery then, Mr.Page."

Jimmy smiled nervously, and when the doctor exited the room, he quickly kissed Emily on her pale cheek. He then began to caress her lifeless body with his warm hands against her cold flesh. 

"It's gonna be okay love."

As the nurses came in for Jimmy, he planted a long, tender kiss on her forehead.