The Night She Over Dosed

She sat on the corner of her bed. Warm tears kept cascading down her face as she looked at a bottle of pills.  It was three weeks since the breakup, and her heart was still crushed. He threw two years of unconditional love away. 

Her friend Jimmy stayed with her to try to help her, but it seemed to do no good. With a heavy heart, she rose from her bedside, and walked to the door, and gently closed it. She then dragged a chair over, and put the head of it behind the door knob, jarring the door. 

She stood silent in front of the door, tears falling to her blue carpet, then turning a dark purple when they hit it. Below her, downstairs, she could hear Jimmy's faint voice, "Hi there kitty. Oh.. You're on my lap now. Well, hello there!" Even he couldn't make the tears stop at that point. 

She walked back over to her bed, and took the bottle of pills. The world seemed to fall silent as she shook the pills into her hand. She cupped them, and held back a sob. With a quick movement, she took one gulp, and a chug of water. She coughed and wheezed, gasping for air as she collapsed to the ground, and the pill bottle fell next to her.  

She could hear Jimmy's footsteps coming up the stairs. She watched through tears as Jimmy tried to open the door. 

"EMILY??! OPEN THE DOOR!" he yelled. All she could do is cry. Jimmy rammed himself against the door several times, and on the sixth try, the chair fell from the door knob, and the door flung open. Jimmy's eyes widened when he saw her sprawled out on the ground. Her skin was turning an olive green, while her face was whiter than snow. 

"Fuck, Emily!" he said as he ran  to her, and held her limp body in his strong arms. He scanned her room, and found her cell phone, and quickly called 9-11. 

"An ambulance will be here soon, okay love?" Jimmy said while stroking her pale face. She began to shake like a leaf during a wind storm, and her breathing became rapid. Jimmy felt his heart racing, and tears coming to his eyes. 

"Emily... EMILY!" he yelled as she lost consciousness. She seemed dead. With her body still in his arms, he ran her downstairs, and sat with her, singing to her softly, and talking to her. "Emily, I don't know if you can hear me.. But I know we're friends, but god dammit I love you . I fucking love you. I'll never do what that boy did to you. When you wake up baby, we'll get married and be together forever."

Minutes later, paramedics arrived, and rushed her to the ER, with Jimmy in the back of the ambulance, by her side.  She was already hooked up to an IV with fluids, and a blood pressure cuff on her arm, taking her pulse every five minutes.She also had nubbings in her nose for oxygen. She looked like a machine. 

Jimmy's tears fell down onto her skin, all he could do is wait.