Chapter 4- Kitchen Nightmares

We both shot up simultaneously, ready to bolt downstairs. Grabbing candlesticks for protection, we snuck down the hall, to the stairs and peeked behind the corner. Mason mouthed "On three" and counted down with his free hand. On his signal, we both raced in the kitchen, screaming away any unwanted guests. Tyler and Jack screamed when we barged in. They were just as confused as Mason and I were.

"What are you doing! You scared us half to death!" Jack exclaimed.

"What are YOU doing! We heard a crash and Tyler was screaming for help!" I replied. The two looked at each other and cracked smiles. They started busting up with laughter, muddying up the situation even more. "What is so funny, you idiots?! We were about to pummel you to death!"

"We were making Cakeies!" Tyler said eagerly. "They're cake-flavored cookies! Or Cookie-flavored cake. I can't remember, but they smell nice!"

"We were trying to cheer you up, Christian. But we kind of got carried away with our music. By "we" I mean this little goul," Jack finished, messing his boyfriend's mess of a hair. This was his pet name we all have Tyler; Jack wasn't the only one to call him that. For an entire year, he insisted Halloween was everyday. It was his way of coping with being on the lam. It fit him, too. He was always doing something mischievous in the London Base. It always made us laugh, though. Remembering all of this made me join in on the laughter, something I hadn't done in such a long time. This shocked Mason, but his shock turned to smiles, then giggles.

His Grandmother walked in after hearing all the yelling and laughing. "Are you four baking without your sweet dear grandmother?" She raised the back of her hand to her forehead dramatically. "A kind, frail woman, who's not long for this world, is in the next room and all you can think of is..." She trailed off, sniffing the air. "What exactly are you making?" 

"We made Jack's Cakeies!" Tyler answered. "They're delicious, I think."

"Is that right?" She turned to Jack, who was taking his creations out of the oven. "Mind if I try one?"

"Feel free, everyone. They're not much, but I think they'll be okay." We all took a bite of them.... and instantly begged for seconds. The flavor of red velvet, the white frosting, and the overload of sprinkles... Jack really did make these for me. 

"Have you ever considered going into the culinary community, Jack?" Mason's Grandmother asked in astonishment. 

"Oh, it's been my life long dream! I've dabbled in the kitchen with my mom when I was younger. But I can't ever pursue it since I've left home. Can't exactly through pastries at Rainbow Killers, right" He giggled at the thought.

"Kid, you need to make a book with those recipies of yours! I can pull it off to the publishers, and you could make a pretty penny off of it." 

"You would really do that? For me?!" She nodded. Jack actually had jumped for joy with the news. 

"You have the best grandmother, Mase." I whispered.

"I know." He said. He pulled me closer in a one armed hug, which made me blushed.

His Grandmother picked up a cakeie and examined it closer. "You know, I find it ironic that we bake cookies, but we cook bacon.  You would think it would be the other-" 

Shuffling of boots and shouting interrupted her. The surrounding windows shattered in as 5 figures barged in. They all dressed in greyscale with black masks that covered their faces. Rainbow Killers. Four of them twisted Tyler, Jack, Mason, and my arms behind our backs, while the remaining one stepped towards Mason's grandmother, who had fallen when they crashed in. 

"Madison Alice Lee," The Rainbow Killer started. "You have been found guilty of holding four Unwanteds in your dwelling. According to Her Lady Cat, this is punishable by death." Fear found its way into Mason's eyes as the color drained from his face. But the "accused" look eerily calm.

Madison scoffed. "Is that what she calls herself now?" 

"Do not mock Her Lady Cat McCoy!" the pursuer shouted. They unclipped a pure white pistol from a side pocket and pointed it at her. "What are you final words, criminal?"

Madison looked at the four of us had smiled. "All of you, chase your dreams, and dont stop loving who you want. Whatever happens, it will be alright if you stay with you love. Have each other's back, you two," She nodded at Jack and Tyler and looked right at Mason. "Dont cry for me, love. This day had to come." She finally turned to me. "Christian, look after him. He'll need you, more than ever. And never forget what lies below the Copper Lady." 

"What?" I had thought. "Was I supposed to know what that means?"

Mason's grandmother turned back to her executor. "How's that? Anything I missed?" 

The Rainbow Killer laughed. "I would have gone with something a little less... colorful." With that, he pulled the trigger, and the body fell to its side, scattering what was left of Jack's creations to our feet.

And Mason lost it.