Chapter 18

Both Thornton and Walker weren’t new faces to the dazzling city of Los Angeles. They felt pangs of delight, as well as some sadness, at seeing the city up close. Delight, as this city had given them moments and times to cherish for the rest of their lives. However, they were also slightly disappointed if not particularly sad, that they were visiting this amazing city under such unfavourable circumstances. It had long been a personal wish of both men, to visit the city once again, just to remind themselves of the good times. But unfortunately, their duties demanded too much of them. Affording vacations wasn’t exactly a benefit that came along with the life of a Detective.

Those very duties had brought them here today from New York. Their friends were captive at the moment, held under the influence of another, who Walker had called his mate at one point of time. Tonight they would meet as rivals, as enemies, as good and evil.

 Walker still held himself guilty in a small part of his mind, for what had happened to Layne that night. But now that he knew Layne Munford freely walked the face of the Earth, he would stop at nothing to keep his friends out of harm’s way. Nothing.

By about 8, the four men had reached the L.A.P.D. Precinct. Today too, the moon was shining at its brightest, while the clouds furtively scuttled away in shame. It was a Saturday, and just like New York, the streets were packed with all sorts of vehicles. Walker suggested leaving for Klamath River at about half-past eight, half an hour earlier than the time previously decided, to which Detective Taylor promptly assented.

Their team was already down there below the cliff on which the cottage stood, and till now no worthy reports of any sort had been received at the Precinct. It had been confirmed, though, that there was someone in there, as the lights had been switched on about an hour back.

Walker’s theory was justified now in all aspects, and all that remained, was mapping out their entries.

The Precinct had already formed a rather impressive image in Walker’s mind, and even Thornton stared at the complex with some awe. It was modern; in stark contrast to the ancient building back in New York. Recently painted with a mixture of vibrant colours, the L.A.P.D. symbol certainly embellished the facade of the      Precinct. Walker’s memory of the lanes and roads here were a little rusty, but he was quite sure that this was quite near to the Civic Centre, located in the famous Elysian Park complex.

Inside, the Precinct didn’t cease to amaze. The level of hygiene in every corner Walker could set his eyes on, was completely unrivaled compared to the precinct’s Walker had had the pleasure of seeing. The elevators were quite a bit faster than the ones back home, but then again, the L.A.P.D. Precinct consisted of a remarkable 11 floors. The grass was certainly greener on this side.

The only downside, it seemed, was that there weren’t many people in, who were working. Thornton was about to ask Darden about this, but refrained from doing so. Now he actually understood how many people had been assigned for the monitoring of the cottage. Both New York officials held a newfound respect for the L.A.P.D. branch in their hearts.

They hardly had any time to sit at all. The day had progressed too fast for the visitors, and they were highly exhausted. What had initially seemed like a long and labour-absorbing case proved to be extremely short. Yet, it was without a doubt the most important case of Walker’s life, and a small thing like fatigue wasn’t going to deter him from his path.