Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

Finally getting a little break from work was a gift to anyone working in the New York Police Department, especially someone in a position such as his. All these thoughts were running around in his head randomly, without connection.

Tired, he decided to vanquish all his thoughts, and just watch some late night television. Surfing the channels, he checked the time on his Timex watch. 11:27. Oh! He thought. Just three minutes remaining, for “The Late Show with David Letterman”. He loved that show, and quickly switched to the channel in question. Some dim-witted advertisements about hair shampoo being strong enough to pull trucks were on display. Oh if only he could keep counts of the number of stupid advertisements that came on television.

11:30. Ah! Right on schedule, the friendly face of David Letterman came into picture. “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,” his voice positively boomed across the room. “Tonight, we have a very special guest...”

    “RINGEDY-DIDDIDY-DOO!” his cell phone buzzed with all its might. Walker was annoyed, and showed for it with a slight frown. Firstly, because his show had been interrupted, and the second, more obvious reason, his freaking ringtone. Some half-witted fool in the department had kept it on as a practical joke. One does need a few laughs in such a serious line of work. Still, he didn’t know who had done it. Once he did though, the man was in deep trouble.

He picked up the phone to see who was calling at this ungodly hour. He knew of course, the identity of the caller long before even glancing at his cell, but just hoped that he was wrong. Unfortunately, he wasn’t.

It was his chief, senior by one position, yet also by thirty years. “Yes, Sir,” he spoke in his respectful yet stern voice which many criminals feared to encounter. “Walker? Well first, I must apologize for calling you in on your day off, but duty calls,” came the steely voice of Chief Kevin Rutt. “No worries, sir,” replied Walker, diplomatically. “Now, to business,” continued Chief Rutt, his voice becoming noticeably harder. “Call came in at about 11:24p.m from 112th Street, Bay view Lane about a murder. Now, mind you, I would have called Detective Thornton, had the murder not demanded such attention,” said Chief Rutt. “Such attention, sir?” asked Walker, his mind running with thoughts about why the Chief hadn’t called in Detective Shane Thornton, his junior Detective. Must be quite the murder, chuckled Walker to himself; his brain was already working in the fast and highly logical manner that was one of the many reasons for his success over the years. The Chief went on, “Well “such attention” would be an understatement, Detective. I suggest you get here as quick as you can, so that we can wrap up this mess soon before the press get wind of it,” said Chief Rutt, disconnecting the call. Walker sighed. “Later, Letterman,” he said as he left Aberdeen Place. He really did like the show.