An unexpected reunion

Start from the beginning

"Tell her I'm already leaving for the meeting," Cathay said on the phone.

The receptionist kept the call on hold for a second and said in a low tone to Aisha. "Your mom said she's leaving for the meeting."

Aisha stopped drumming her fingers on the counter as she felt more confused.

"Her mom?" Fatima asked the receptionist.

"Yes, her mom," the receptionist responded.

Fatima gestured at the receptionist with a mean look on her face.

Aisha couldn't make up the situation that was going on, but she went along and said. "Tell my mom it's urgent," She said mildly.

The receptionist told Cathay on the intercom what Aisha said, and he stretched forward to Aisha. "She asked if you are pregnant."

"No!" Aisha said with disgust. She slammed her fist on the table, feeling frustrated.

"What floor is her office?"

"Don't you know?" The receptionist asked in an annoying voice.

"I said what floor is her goddamn office?" Aisha cried angrily, almost raising her voice.

The receptionist shaked in fear. "The second to the last floor," He answered sharply.

Aisha dashed to the spiral staircase. Before Fatima could blink twice, she was out of sight.

Fatima took a magazine from the counter and flipped through the pages as she looked for a chair to sit.

Aisha was exhausted when she finally reached the floor where Cathay's office was. She breathed hard as she tried to catch her breath. She stopped an employee who was passing by and asked for her mother's office.

The staff took Aisha to the door of Cathay's office before leaving her.

Aisha read the name inscripted on the door. 'CATHAY V. WILLIAMS and under her name was written boldly, CEO. She stretched to push open the door, but Cathay pulled it open from inside. She breathed out, relieved that she had finally met the CEO of the company.

Cathay came out from her office holding a large file under her right arm while her handbag was slipping off from her other hand. "Help me with this, honey," She said to Aisha panickly as she gave her her handbag.

Aisha quickly took the bag from her mother and walked behind her.

Cathay walked fast on her feet as she began talking. "Hadeza, I'm late for my meeting and I have to make it there before my clients arrive" She said to Aisha as she had mistaken her for Hadeza, not caring about Aisha's look or Aisha's big hair and the big glasses she wore. She walked in an awkward gait as her heels weren't fitted properly in her feet.

As Aisha walked behind Cathay, she slowly realized Cathay was her real mother, and she must have mistaken her for her twin sister, Hadeza. "Mom, listen to me," Aisha said forcefully.

Cathay walked to the elevator as she was too much in a hurry to listen to Aisha. She took her bag from Aisha and made it to enter the elevator.

"Mom, I'm not who you think -" Aisha cried like a little girl, but Cathay cut her off.

"Hadeza, I'm late! Love you, " Cathay shouted. She tried not to sound rude. She entered the elevator and adjusted her skirt without looking at Aisha.

Aisha couldn't believe she was staring at her mother. She never thought she would be a white woman. She made eye contact with her before the elevator doors closed. She touched the region of her skin around her eyes. She finally knew where she got her blue eyes from. She made a u-turn and groaned. "She is so hyper!" She decided to go back downstairs and meet Fatima and tell her what had just happened.