28. Return to Life

Palms were sweating, the metal hilts of her blades nearly slipping out of her grasp. Explosions ensued, peppering the ground with holes the size of her head and filling the air with clouds of dust. The sun attempted to pierce through the ash as her lungs spasmed with the effort to take in oxygen.

"I can't leave you, sensei!" Sakumo refused to leave her side, his eyes wide.

Hana felt herself stiffen, her whole body shaking despite herself. She knew she was in a low place with her chakra; the last battle having drained most of her energy. Her eyes were turning hazy, stinging with pain.

She remembered Tobirama's dying eyes, how he had sacrificed himself for the sake of his students.

So...am I going to die like him after all?

"Hatake...go."

"Sensei!"

"I said go, damn it!" Hana unsheathed her second blade, holding it before her, "go before I kill you myself!"

Sakumo's eyes were wide. Hana swallowed back her grief and desperation. "Sakumo," she said in a softer voice, "only one of us can escape, I taught you better how to play on a battlefield. If you have any regard for me, just..." her voice choked despite herself, "please take care of Mikoto, and tell Hiro—"

She was cut off as seven deadly chakra signatures emerged. Pushing him out of the way, Hana hissed, "Go!"

When she made sure he was gone, she flipped her blades and turned coolly to the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist in front of her.

Blood dropped from her wounds as burn marks covered the length of her arm.

Hana activated her Mangekyou Sharingan, holding her swords outwards.

"Chi no akuma," the one in front of her smirked, "Dubbed as the most powerful kenjutsu user in the land. You look worse for wear, Uchiha-san..."

She heard the whispers of multiple blades leaving their sheaths. A shade crossed her face, her expression hardening before smoothing over in an eerie, neutral expression.

"Are you going to kill me?" She murmured, her voice detached.

"It is our intention to do so."

"Good," Hana said, bending into an attack stance, the weight of the stone around her neck giving her some comfort. It filled her with a new strength as she prepared the explosive tags. Her killing intent rippled through the air. "Who is going to die with me?" Her voice murmured before lunging forwards, blades gleaming in the light.

___________

I'm floating.

Where is here?

I'm nothing.

Holding on...

I see light again.

_____________

Her body felt numb and unfeeling.

That was the first warning sign.

When her eyes opened once more, Hana could do nothing but stare in front of her. "Orochimaru?" her eyes narrowed when they saw Hiruzen's disciple. He looked the same as always but when Hana looked sideways, she froze.

Hashirama Senju.

Tobirama Senju.

Hiruzen Sarutobi.