Chapter 29

I woke up in an empty room, in a home I didn't recognize.

Not again.

I lifted myself up on my elbows, and my head started throbbing painfully. I took a deep breath, and channeled the pain out of my body. It was all the pain had vaporized itself. I was getting good at this.

I got up and walked slowly towards the entrance. My leg didn't hurt at all, in fact, I was surprised at how well I could walk.

"Hello?" My echo was the only answer. The house was empty. It was pretty bland, similar to the apartment I lived in. I actually wondered for a moment if I was still on the island, if it all was just another dream. I made my way out of the house as quickly as I could with my handicap.

I was right across from the med facility, where I had lost consciousness. There was no one in sight. Not a sound could be heard. I closed my eyes and tried to focus, trying to hear or feel anything or anyone that could be near.

Where was everyone?

I felt frightened, even if I didn't know why: no people therefore no danger, right?

I wobbled down the front stairs to the street. I decided to walk down the street, thinking I would eventually find someone that could help. After a block or two, I was getting tired; I saw a speeder down the road on my right. I thought it would be easier than walking with the condition I was in.

I started to make my way to the speeder, but stopped dead in my tracks. The vision I had was more powerful than I'd experienced before, and I wasn't even focusing on anything. The speed at which I was learning astounded me.

First, I saw hostile men in the forest. They hadn't left yet.

Then, I heard voices coming from nearby. I couldn't pinpoint the exact way it was coming from, so I didn't know which way to go. I listened closer, hoping I would hear some sort of indication to where they were exactly.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

The Advisors' men were not going to leave. They knew they couldn't get past our shield, but they were going to wait to see if it would fail again. They were hiding in the forest, not knowing that we could sense them.

What were we going to do? What was going to happen? These were all questions unanswered by either party.

I started walking towards the safeguard, still listening to the voices, which were getting clearer. Abruptly, I stopped. William was speaking. "Someone will have to tell them we know they're here. If they see what you guys are capable of, that might make them flee, frighten them. They're at a clear disadvantage, they just don't know it yet."

"We can't let them know what our minds can do. We've kept it a secret for hundreds of years."

"Actually, Maia, they already know we have...abilities." I thought I recognized Damien's voice. And in the silence that ensued, I imagined he was showing her with his mind what we had done to confuse the soldiers and keep them from attacking us.

"Whose idea was this? Do you want to get us all killed?" Maia then asked, with indignation. I felt in that moment a horrible amount of guilt, because it had been mine.

"Maia, we had no choice. It was us or them." Damien replied.

"It was her, wasn't it? You guys are already protecting her. I can see why. She's getting stronger by the second." Maia said, resignation in her voice now.

Was she talking about me? I guessed it had to do with the fact that I could help them through my mother somehow.

Part of me was wondering what she had meant by me getting stronger, but for the most part I now just felt horrible for divulging in some way a secret that had been kept for so many years. I had to fix this, to make up for it. But how? How could I make them go away without using violence? Because it was out of the question that I hurt anyone.