Chapter 25

I was still frowning when K sat me down in his car, and drove off down the street.

He knew I was waiting for yet another explanation. I never knew what to expect on his part. "I'm taking you to see William." He smiled a tiny crooked smile.

Now what was this about? He knew how I felt about William, and I also knew how K felt about him. I wasn't sure what his motivations were, but I couldn't help feeling slightly guilty after what happened in the cave. However, I didn't say anything since I really did want to see William. For once, I wasn't excited to see him in particular, I was just curious to see what I would feel being near him again.

As we drove through the city, I recognized almost every building I saw. The city was exactly as I'd seen it in the dreams, and I was starting to know it pretty well. It all made sense, now; I had seen it through K's eyes.

The weather was somewhat bright to the north, but it got a lot darker to the south. We were going south, so we were driving towards the darkening clouds and the brisk wind that always came as a pair.

The drive seemed never ending, but we did finally got to his house. Wait. It was Elis's house. So who owned this house in reality? I realized I'd have to go through the whole questioning process again with William, this time. Why did his parents know about this place? What was he planning to do now that he had found his sister? Would he still show interest in me? Would I ever get a chance to tell him how I really feel? Maybe I would end up with K after all, which almost relieved me. It seemed easier, more natural; all in all it seemed like a safer bet.

I wondered for a second if K was able to influence my thoughts, my feelings in a way that I would fall in love with him. I tried to think about other things at the same time not to awaken suspicion. I had to learn how to intentionally block my thoughts. I knew that it would quickly become my highest priority.

"Actually, Max, you're able to do it already. A few moments ago, just after thinking about the weather, all I got were thoughts on the dashboard, and I really doubt you had so much to think about of a piece of black carbon. Sorry for prying, by the way." He had concluded that I was thinking about William, and even if he tried to hide it, I could feel his heart sink. He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment of concentration, and even though I couldn't exactly read his mind clearly before, when they were open again, I could no longer feel a thing coming from him. I reckoned the more your feelings were intense, the harder they were to hide. All I had to interpret his feelings now was his body language, which I was getting better at reading. I was realizing with time that K might like me more than I'd originally thought. His candidness always downplayed the intensity of any moment.

"You know, there's a better way to do it than to concentrate on something else. I like to call it radio silence. The other person feels or reads nothing at all; that way you're less likely to let a thought slip while your concentrating on...the dashboard."

Then he stepped out of the car and came to open the door for me. I was used to it now. He took my hand and helped me out, and I started forwards. I didn't hear any other footsteps than mine so I turned my head around only to see K leaning against his car. "Aren't you coming with me?"

"Um...no. I'll let you handle this one alone," he said, with an undertone.

"Okay..." I turned back slowly. Suddenly the huge house seemed intimidating. It reminded me of the calming effect K's presence had on me.

My hand trembled very lightly as it lifted to turn the handle of the swing door. Would his sister be here? What would I say to her? From the pieces of information I was now scrambling through in my head, she would be the same physically—a beautiful, tall blonde who was a splitting image of her brother—but she probably would not recognize me. I turned to look back at K, but he wasn't beside his car anymore. I made an unsuccessful attempt not to suspect him of eavesdropping, and wondered from what distance could he read my thoughts. Could he read me through a window, or through a wall? Did he have to look at my face at all? I felt stupid even asking these questions in silence. I pivoted to face the door and jumped when I saw William standing in its place.