XXXIX: THE GANG BACK TOGETHER AGAIN

Start from the beginning

"Now that Becca and you are friends," Calum started, talking over the microwave since Ashton was making more bags of popcorn, "This will be even better."

"I think we're still a little far from friends, mate," Luke said truthfully, chuckling a little as Calum rolled his eyes.

Becca could arguably find Luke more tolerable though, and when she referred to him by saying something along the lines of Tree or Fuckboy there was less seriousness and weight to her words. In fact they were leaning towards the side of playful, and Calum had noticed with glee.

"Well, you talked to her a couple weeks ago and she didn't end up murdering you, and that's a good sign," Calum proclaimed, a dazed look on his face at even the thought of his girlfriend. "She does like you, you know. Now, at least."

Luke nodded, even though he didn't fully believe what Calum was saying, but it still meant a lot. He found it peculiar that Calum and Becca had been best friends once before as well, and after that double date practically a year ago, they jumped the gun and have been together ever since. Luke wondered what that was like.

Luke's mind travelled to Ava and how he wished they could've been like that, before he had messed things all up with his past insecurities. It was no secret that they loved each other, that they were in love with each other, but they both needed time to do things for themselves. It was infuriating almost, to care so much for someone and not be able to do anything about it, but Luke was willing to wait. There was no question in his mind about that.

He had never waited for someone before, physically or emotionally, usually being one of those people who liked the rush of things, to hastily move forward, which was one of the reasons he used to be so fond of one night stands. But Ava? He'd wait until the end of the world for her.

The doorbell rang, or buzzed was more like it, and Ashton answered it since he was closest to the door. Luke couldn't see who it was, but he didn't have to once Ashton lifted Ava up into the air and hugged her.

"Ava!" Ashton cheered and Ava laughed, lifting her feet up even though with the height difference, they wouldn't have been able to touch the ground from his arms anyway. "I haven't seen you in forever, I missed you. Your hair is blue."

"Her hair is what?!" Calum shouted, quickly running to the door once Ava was placed back down on the ground, and the boy did the same as Ashton and hugged her tightly. "Ava, we missed you so much, if Luke didn't live here, we would never hear about you."

Luke made his way over, tripping over his own feet. The group of them was by the door: Ava, Michael, and Becca, but Ava was already forced inside the apartment by his two roommates who were currently relishing in her presence, one they were apparently so in need of. He observed as they chattered amongst themselves, his friends, and even Becca sent him a smile full of warmth; and for some reason, he had never felt so content before, even at something so endearingly simple.

Calum had wrapped his arms around Becca and kissed her, while Ashton had been drawn into a conversation with Ava and Michael about their day at the comic book store where a child managed to knock every comic off the top shelf unapologetically. Perhaps, this what people meant when they talked about the little things in life, because he wanted to keep this memory forever. Lately, he found himself wanting to remember everything.

"Are you ready for movie night?" He asked everyone, and the five people stared back at him with grins on their faces, the kind of grin that says nothing more and nothing less than what it is.

They retreated to the couch, the now air thick with the candle's burning scent of honey and pine and the smell of buttery popcorn coming from exactly three bowls of Jiffy Pop ready for eating next to two boxes of pizza that Calum had ordered beforehand. Per Luke's request, Calum had ordered Ava's favourite, Hawaiian, while the other box was half cheese and half pepperoni. Even the smell of the pizza began to waft into the apartment as well and the myriad of it all became quite confusing.