IX: LATE NIGHTS IN MY CAR

(i highly suggest listening to late nights in my car by real friends since its a) part of the story playlist and b) says a lot about luke's character + this chapter)

chapter nine; late nights in my car.

When Ava first received that call, she didn't know what to think. Well, actually she did think something along the lines of "Why the hell is Luke Hemmings calling me this late?" but that didn't overcome her huge wave of worry. She was just thankful that he wasn't hurt, or at the very least, drunk and lost somewhere on the streets. Still, she wasn't comforted by the thought of him ditched in some bar called The Vortex. It wasn't exactly the best place in town and it got her wondering what he was doing there.

Nonetheless, the minute she finished her shift at the small club she worked at, she ran to her car and searched up the directions. While she drove, she thought about Luke. Not necessarily in any specific way, just the general idea of him. Luke and her haven't known each other long, clearly, but you wouldn't know that from looking at them. For some reason, they just clicked and perhaps it was moving too fast, but it still managed to stay realistic. He was an idiot, sure, but he was her friend, and she would probably drop anything and everything for him if he called her to ask for help.

She just hoped that he would do the same for her.

Her car pulled up to a building that was practically bouncing off the gravel due to the booming music and there were lines of people outside. She scrunched up her nose as she stepped out the car, securely holding her car keys to her chest as if they would shield her from the groups of drunk adults around her or perhaps prevent assault. She scanned the sea of everyone around, looking for a certain tall blonde boy who should've been easier to point out, considering he towered over half the population, but she had yet to see him. She took out her phone and dialed Luke's number, putting her phone up to her ear and letting it ring.

"Hey, it's Luke. I'm probably ignoring you or something, so you know what to do."

Ava rolled her eyes at his voicemail greeting, but left one anyway. "Yeah, hey asshat, it's your girl here to pick you up. You better not be ignoring me since you're the one who called."

She then pressed end and placed her phone back in her bartender uniform skirt pocket. That was the only real reason she liked her club uniform. It consisted of a black, short-sleeved button up shirt and a black tight skirt that ended about mid-thigh and had pockets. She absolutely loved it. She backed up a couple steps, deciding on maybe waiting in the car when she clashed against somebody else. She closed her eyes on the impact, imagining using her lighter to light the culprit on fire if they tried anything, and then opened them again slowly.

"So, you're my girl, huh?"

Ava gasped and smacked Luke harshly on the shoulder with all her might, knocking him backwards a few steps. Pain shot up his arm and he lightly shoved her as well, complaining about the stinging.

"I am not your girl, it's an expression," she cried out, stifling laughter as she held up his arm, trying to soothe it, "And I'm sorry, it's my natural instinct when I'm surprised."

"It's your natural instinct to hit someone? Remind me to never wake you up in the morning," Luke replied, regaining composure while continuing to rub where it hurt, "Well, actually I would still wake you up in the morning on one condition."

The two of them began walking to Ava's car and as she unlocked it and opened up her door, she turned her head to look at him. "And what's that?"