chapter six- dreaming with our eyes wide open

Hawkmoth strolled confidently outside, taking in a breath of fresh air after another successful show. Today he'd brought Simon Says onstage with him, and the audience was just as dazzled by his hypnotic card tricks as Hawkmoth knew they would be. Now, he scanned the horizon, and to his surprise familiar face caught his eye. The same woman he'd seen at the bank the other day, except her spoiled daughter wasn't trailing behind her. Of course, he recognized her this time. "Ah, Mrs. Bourgeois from Le Parisian," he said flatly, a challenging gleam in his eye. "Come to take in another show?" She scoffed. "Hardly. Tell me, Mr. Hawkmoth," she said harshly, "does it bother you that everything about you is fake?" He crossed his arms, looking over at Mightillustrator, who'd come by after Simon left and was doodling playground equipment and toys for children to play on. "Madame, if you were in my shoes," he said, leaning on his cane, "You'd know the beauty of real magic." Audrey scoffed. "As a real fashion connoisseur, Mr. Hawkmoth, I'd certainly never wind up in anything from your utterly ridiculous wardrobe." Those words stung, but Gabriel refused to let it show. "Take a look around you," he said, pointing with his cane at the laughing children, "when was the last time you saw a child that happy?" For the first time, Audrey didn't have a response. "A style queen who can't even bring her own daughter joy," he said, tipping his hat, "now who's the fraud?"

Audrey growled angrily, spinning on her heels and storming off. "Oh, Mrs. Bourgeois," Hawkmoth said, the blonde whipping her head back and glaring at him, "That word you used

to describe my show? Has a nice ring to it." Audrey looked up at the front of the building, which now read "Hawkmoth's Circus" in beautiful, white letters.

***

"This way, this way!" he said, practically dragging his wife and son by their hands, both of their eyes closed per the man's instructions. "Father, please, slow down!" Adrien said with a laugh. "Alright, alright," he said, coming to a halt, "now open." Emilie and Adrien opened their eyes, and both looked in shock at the beautiful mansion that stood before them. "Is- is," Emilie stammered, "is that ours?" Gabe smiled, opening his arms to her embrace. "Wanna go take a look inside?" he said, and both of them nodded excitedly.

The foyer was huge, and almost everything was gray and black marble. A staircase that led up to rooms on the left and the right, and on the wall hung a huge family portrait. Adrien and his mother gazed at the giant empty house, and only turned their attention away when a woman in formal attire approached them. She wore a red turtleneck sweater under a black dress jacket, and her black hair was pulled into a bun, showing a streak of scarlet. Gabriel walked up and stood beside her. "This is Nathalie Sancoeur," he said, "our new assistant, manager, and friend," he said. "And tutor," Nathalie said, smiling at Adrien as she adjusted her black and red glasses. Gabriel waved as Nathalie left them alone, and went back over to Emilie, taking her hand gently in his. "This is the life I promised you," he said, looking around at the huge mansion walls. Emilie giggled. "We didn't need all of this-" she started, but Gabriel swept her off her feet, and spun her around before setting her back down. "It took seventeen years, but," he said, kissing her on the cheek, "welcome home, Emilie Agreste."

***

Adrien walked into his new bedroom, and his jaw instantly dropped. "No way!" he exclaimed, rushing towards the beautiful grand piano in the middle of the room. He sat down on the black cushioned bench, a tiny black entity darting out of his shirt pocket as the blond began to play. "What do you think, Plagg?" he asked the tiny cat. "I think in a giant house like this, there's a surprising lack of camembert," the kwami spoke, zooming around the room in search of food. Adrien rolled his eyes as his kwami's antics, and went to find him something to eat. He went down the stairs, and looked around to find either of his parents. He turned a corner and found himself face to face with Nathalie. "Oh, hello Miss Sancoeur," he said, "have you seen my parents?"

"They asked me to tell you they were stepping out for the night, and might not be back for a while." The blond blinked. "Oh, alright, thank you," he said with a smile. "One more thing," he added, "do... you think I could get some camembert?" Nathalie gave a confused look, before nodding. "I'll have your personal chef bring you some in a moment." Adrien almost choked. "P-personal chef?!" Nathalie nodded with a smile. "Wow... my father really went all out. I know I'm not used to this life," he said meekly. She smiled again as Adrien went back to his room. "Oh, and Adrien," she called as he walked up the stairs, "call me Nathalie." Adrien looked at the woman for a moment, giving her a nod and a smile.

Adrien went back to his room, before hearing a knock on the door a moment later. He thanked the chef for the cheese platter, walking slowly over to the huge window and admiring the beautiful Parisian sunset, the pinkish clouds rolling lazily across the dull orange sky. "Thinking of going out for a late patrol?" Plagg said, gobbling down a slice of camembert. "Mmhm, I could use a night out after all this excitement," he said with a nod. "Plagg, claws out!"

***

Emilie and Gabriel sat together at the corner edge of the bar, sipping wine and whiskey respectively. Gabe casually looked over at a nearby television, and to his surprise, instead of sports he saw a news report on the screen. "Hey, Charlie," Gabriel called to the bartender, "what's that all about?" The bow tie-wearing barista looked over to the screen he was pointing to, crossing his arms with a grin. "That's our new local do-gooder," he said, pointing to a picture of a blonde boy in a black cat-themed suit, holding up a peace sign. "'Do-gooder'?" Gabriel echoed curiously. Charlie nodded. "Calls himself Chat Noir," the bartender continued. "I think he's got real superpowers. He's a good kid, reminds me of myself when I was younger." Gabriel laughed at his younger friend. "Way to compliment yourself," he teased, shaking around the ice at the bottom of his glass. Charlie rolled his eyes, topping him off. "What do you think, dear?" Gabriel asked, turning to his wife. "I think it's nice that Paris has a new protector," she said with a smile.

"Emilie," Gabriel said as they walk outside, "why don't you head on home and check on Adrien," he said, eyes focused back on the tv. "Aren't you coming?" she asked. "I'll be right behind you," he said, kissing her forehead, "just gonna catch up with an old friend." He waved down a cab for her. "Do I know them?" Emilie asked, even more confused. "I'll be right behind you, Emilie," he reassured, opening the car door for her. "See you at home."

***

Chat Noir extended his baton, propelling him into the sky. He spun it around his hands as he descended, lowering onto the street. "Hello, Chat Noir," came a voice to his right, almost making him jump. He peered into the dimly lit alley, his night vision revealing the shape of a man, in what looked like a ringmaster's suit. He stepped out of the shadows, and Chat was surprised to see that his outfit was... purple?

"Can I buy you a drink?"