chapter one: a million dreams

Gabriel opened his eyes, the sunlight casting a musty gold shimmer into his room from his old, dirty window. He heard the sounds of his father shuffling about, and knew he had to get himself ready for the day. He dragged himself out of bed, stretching his back to ease the soreness from his old, uncomfortable box spring mattress. He slid his shoes onto his feet, staring down as he wiggled his toes underneath the leather that'd torn from the shoe's sole. "Hurry up, Gabriel!" came his father's voice from the front door, and he quickly ran to catch up with him as they set out for the town.

The young boy loved marveling at the beautiful clothing displayed in the shop windows. He stopped as he passed a silk purple suit, with a tall black top hat and a lovely purple brooch. He stared at the suit, and then back down at his old torn shoes, and he secretly hoped one day he could lavish himself in a handsome outfit just like this one. "I understand, yes. Thank you
very much, sir, thank you, you'll have the money by the end of the day," he heard his father's voice say quickly, before he was torn from his thoughts by a quick pulling on his arm. "Come on, Gabriel," his father said hurriedly as he all but dragged his son down the street, "Hurry up, we're gonna miss the train."

Gabriel stood idly as he looked around his father's client's house, a huge mansion with all sorts of beautiful, expensive looking artwork and furniture. He rocked a bit on his heels as his gaze trailed the room, until his eyes settled on what he thought was the most beautiful thing in the whole house. The rich man's daughter, who was sitting at a table sipping delicately from a cup of tea as a housemaid mentored her table etiquette. Every now and then he would catch her sneak a glance at him from the kitchen, and every time their eyes met he felt his stomach fill with butterflies. He noticed a small trinket on a small table close to him, and he picked it up and examined it, placing a piece of scrap fabric inside. He watched as the girl once again lifted the teacup to her lips, and he mimicked her movements with his own little cup. She watched as he pretended to drink from the cup, but instead he sucked up the fabric into his mouth. The girl instantly spit out her tea, and both children went into a flurry of giggles.

"Emilie, come here," her father said firmly, his voice thick with discontent. The girl reluctantly obeyed, keeping her gaze low as she passed Gabriel to stand in front of her father. "Your dress..." he said, gesturing to her now tea-soaked outfit, "is this how we've taught you to behave?" Gabriel watched her get scolded, and took a deep breath. "It was my fault, sir," he said, taking a step forward. "I made her laugh." The man's gaze fell upon young Gabriel, and he blinked at him. "Well thank you for your honesty," he said, before giving him a hard smack across his face. Gabriel stood in shock, tears stinging his eyes as did his cheek. "Stay away from my daughter," the man said coldly.

Gabriel stared out at the open ocean, wiping tears from his eyes and trying to keep his lip from trembling. He heard small footsteps on the grass behind him, and someone sat down beside him. "How'd you get out?" he said quietly, avoiding her eyes. "The window," Emilie replied nonchalantly, scooting closer to the cream-haired boy. He finally turned to look at her, to which she gave a sympathetic smile, and then a small, sad sigh. "Father's always so controlling over me. It's like he's trying to live my life for me," she said softly. "I don't know what my future will be." Gabriel looked back at her, and gave her a little smile as he stood up.

"I do."

She looked up at him, his raggedy clothes blowing in the wind. He held out his hand to her, and Emilie smiled as she took it. From then on, the two were inseparable. They did everything together; walking on the beach, exploring old houses, and generally getting into mischief. Emilie loved how quirky he could be, always making her laugh and picking her up when she was down.

They spent a few years together before Gabriel popped the question, to which of course Emilie happily said yes. Not long after that, they were ready to welcome their first baby into the world, a healthy baby boy, which they named Adrien. They may not have had much, but they had each other, which was more than enough.

If only things could stay this way forever.