chapter three- a world that we design

Emilie and Gabriel sat together at the dining room table, their chairs turned so they could watch as Adrien ran around the living room, giggling and chasing his father's new kwami. Emilie took him by the hand, interlocking her fingers with his. "Isn't this lovely," she said dreamily, lightly stroking the back of his hand with her thumb. Gabriel sighed. "This isn't the life I promised you," he said quietly, picking his gaze up from his shoes. Emilie was surprised by this, and frowned slightly. "But I have everything I want," she reassured him. "But what about the magic?" he breathed, fixing his glasses as he met her bright, olive green eyes. "That show you gave us up there felt pretty magical," she said, her warm smile coaxing out Gabriel's. "And what do you call that little boy," she said, gesturing towards Adrien, still playing with Nooroo. Gabriel watched as the little moth creature would always dart just out of the boy's reach, staying just above the top of his head. "Alright you, it's time for bed," Emilie said, going over and scooping Adrien up in her arms. Nooroo floated up to Adrien's face, giving the little boy a small nuzzle on his cheek. "I have to go now," the kwami said in his high-pitched voice. "Will I ever see you again?" Adrien asked hopefully. "I'm afraid not, Adrien, but I promise I'll always make sure that you're safe," Nooroo promised. "Even if we can't see each other." Adrien's eyes glistened sadly, but he nodded. Emilie gently petted the kwami with her finger, and then carried Adrien to his bedroom. Nooroo flew back to Gabriel, who smiled. "Your son is a very good boy, master," he said. "He is pure of heart." The platinum blond chuckled. "That's my boy, " he said, holding out his index finger for Nooroo to sit on, just as he did with his butterflies.   Emilie walked back out from the hallway, and smirked playfully at the two of them. "So, Gabriel," she said, walking up to Nooroo, "What is this little guy? Where did you find him?" Nooroo lifted himself off of Gabriel's finger, and explained everything to her. The woman blinked. "Superpowers...?" she asked, her eyes wide with disbelief. The two nodded. "I have this as well," Gabriel said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the black box. He held it out to Emilie, who curiously took it, admiring its intricate design as she gently opened it. Then, just as Gabriel's had when first took it out, a brilliant orb rose from the box, and a deep blue peacock kwami materialized from the miraculous. The kwami hovered face to face with Emilie, and beamed as she quickly flew around her a few times. "It's good to see you again, Duusu," Nooroo said, watching as the little peacock flew around happily. "It's great to be out again!" Duusu chirped, finally settling down beside him. "H-hello," Emilie said. "My name is Emilie." The blue kwami flew over to the side of her face, looking her over. "Wonderful to meet you, Ms. Emilie," Duusu said. "Missus, actually," the woman corrected, gently grabbing her husband's hand. "Ah," Duusu said, crossing her arms thoughtfully, "that would explain why Nooroo's here. Well, in case you hadn't already gathered," she said, giving a little courtesy, "my name is Duusu, and I'm your new kwami." Emilie nodded. "So you grant powers, correct?" she asked. Duusu nodded. "But... I don't really need any superpowers," Emilie admitted. Duusu smirked. "You never know," she said, settling down on the edge of the table. Emilie fastened the brooch to her jacket, and it seemed to glow a soft blue in the dim-lit room. "We should get to bed," she said, gently rubbing Gabriel's shoulder. He nodded, and they headed off to their bedroom, the kwamis not far behind. Emilie opened a small drawer in her dresser, and placed a silky handkerchief inside for the kwamis to sleep in.

Emilie climbed into bed herself, Gabriel joining her a moment later. "Crazy day," Emilie breathed, turning to face him. Gabriel made a noise of agreement, taking off his glasses and setting them on the night-table beside him. "Do you suppose you'll need a name for yourself if you bring this to the public?" Emilie said. "I hadn't thought of that," Gabriel said contemplatively. "I'm not sure." Emilie hummed. "How about... Hawkmoth?" she suggested. Gabriel smiled. "Sounds perfect, sweetheart," he said, "but I don't think I'll be doing anything of the sort anytime soon." He quietly reaching over and turning off the lamp on the nightstand. Emilie leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "Goodnight, Hawkmoth," she whispered, and the two went to sleep.

***TWELVE YEARS LATER***

Gabriel sat on a padded chair, tracing the pattern of his miraculous with his index and middle fingers. He slowly opened it, revealing a little image inside the brooch; his favorite photo of Emilie and Adrien. He smiled fondly as he recalled the day he'd gotten his miraculous, and how precious Adrien's five-year-old smile had been. Gabriel was torn from his thoughts as the nearby office door flew open, and a slender, sharply dressed woman stormed out. She had blonde hair done up in a bob, and wore a big yellow and black sun hat, adorned with an extravagant-looking rose. She was all but dragging along a blonde young woman, yanking her by the crook of her arm. "Come on, Chloé," she snapped, "we don't need these peoples' charity." The girl quickly seemed to oblige, now walking for herself. She cast Gabriel a nasty glare as she followed her mother out of the building, holding her chin high and letting out an aloof pout as she strode past. Gabriel was baffled at their rudeness, but nonetheless walked towards the room the two had stormed out of upon being called in, taking a last glance over his shoulder before entering.

"This... idea you propose is risky and... somewhat bizarre." the man behind the desk said, adjusting his spectacles. "A good bet's what it is." Gabriel countered, a glimmer in his eyes. "Sir, people don't wanna admit it, but they are fascinated with the exotic, the unusual, they can't get enough of it. I've had this dream sitting dormant at the back of my mind for years, sir, and I'd love nothing more than to make it a reality." The older man stared back at him, his expression unchanging. "The bank is going to need substantial collateral," he said flatly. "Oh, of course," Gabriel stammered, fumbling around in his pockets, "I wouldn't suggest otherwise. The deed and title to... my entire flotilla of trading vessels," he said, handing the dubious-looking man the piece of paper he'd retrieved and unfolded. Without a word, the banker extended his hand to Gabriel, who shook it enthusiastically before quickly running home to get to work.