Chapter 20 // Valentine's Day Studying

Start from the beginning

“Of course he did. Well, I don’t have a date.”

“So what are you going to tonight?”

“I’m going to watch movies with Sammy.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” I lied.

“Alright, have fun.”

“Thanks for the ride Violet. Have fun on your date.” I got out of the car before she could say anything. Once I was inside, my mom asked me what plans I had for tonight.

“I have to go tutor Luke.” I said.

“What? Why does Luke need tutoring?”

“His grades are falling behind so the teachers assigned me to tutor him.” I mumbled.

“Alright, well it’s good that you two are talking again. Melanie and I are going out. I’ll be back before 1. So I expect you to be back before then.”

“Where’s Sammy going to be?”

“I’m sleeping over Harry’s house.” Sammy said from the living room. My mom excused me and I went upstairs to get ready to tutor Luke.

~*~

“So you’re in luck because you only have to study the 19th century of Australian history.”

“That’s still so much!” Luke complained.

“Luke, it’s just some, not all of the information that the textbook says.”

“Alright, alright.”
“So let’s see what you know.”

“No, Luke it was Lachlan Macquarie who changed ‘New Holland’ to Australia.”

“I am never going to remember this!” He groaned and fell back into the couch.

“Next question, what year was Perth founded in?”

“1828!”

“1829 but good job!”

“I was close!”

“Next question, what was Western Australia’s name before it got changed?”

“Uh, can I get a hint?”

“Three words.”

“Letters?”

“S, R, and C”

“Umm.”

“The first word is an animal. It’s sort of related to a duck.”

“A goose!”

“It has to start with S Luke!”

“Uhh, a swan!”

“Good! 2nd word!”

“Road? Rally? Rocky? Ripple? River?”
“Yes! River!”

“And Colony!!” Luke exclaimed.

“Good job! Swan River Colony!”

“I’ll just remember SRC.”

“Next question, what month was New Zealand proclaimed as a separate colony?”

“Um, I know this! Uh June? No! July!”

“Yes good!” I lifted my hand to high five him. He high fived me back and smiled.