Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Everything seemed to blur within each other, shapes, colours, they all didn’t have a meaning to me as I felt as if I was floating. I didn’t feel like I was here, all sense of time and feelings were nothing to me. I was disconnected to the world, a faint ringing noise sounded out against my ears but I simply ignored it. Threads were surrounding me, golden and beautifully spun threads. I reached out for them, yet, I couldn’t see my hand.

Where was I? What was I?

Am I dead?

A sharp sting pinched at my mind. I felt heavy, like lead. I tried to breath and all of sudden I was falling. Falling again.

My mother stood before me, a wide grin on her face as she looked down at me. She was speaking to me, yet no words came out. I was confused, my ears were ringing, it felt like static was busy playing in the background and it was annoying me to no end. I heard a click and then everything sounded back to me, it was rather disorientating, a wash of noises crashed over me and I reeled back. I looked up at my mother with a smile. This felt so normal. Wait. What is my mother doing here?

“Mommy?” I called out as I looked up at her, my hand reaching up to pat her face lightly. My hand, my hand was so tiny, so small and milky white. “I’d like some ice cream, please,” I told her, not really understanding why I was saying these things. Shouldn’t I be yelling at her? My mother, my mother is alive!

I was on autopilot, my body moving as I followed after her, skipping lightly through the grass. A dress floated around my knees, the edges coated with mud. I tilted my head to the side. My brother was supposed to be here. Where was he? He was supposed to look after me while Mommy got me some ice cream.

“Trent? Trent where are you? Trenton?” I called out again, before a sharp pain hit at my mind again and I was falling, tumbling down, once again.

I growled out at my brother, throwing my bow and arrow to the floor as I stared over at him with an angry look on my face. “You bloody idiot! You got in the way of my shot! I could have hit you!” I told him, glaring over at his face. Why, why was I yelling at my brother? Trenton was alive?

He merely chuckled at me, reaching forward and running a hand over my head while he laughed at my face. “Geez, Avey, calm down. You’d swear I ate the last cookie or something,” he said, nudging me in the ribs as he picked up my bow and arrow and tugged at my arm as he walked through the forest.

Our wings were spanned out, their white expanse almost blinding as we walked. We knew we were safe here in our forest, my wings brushed against my brothers and I felt comfort in that small act. It was rather strange how angels worked, my mother told me we often looked for comfort in each other as we were rather social creatures.

As we were walking, I noticed that my brother was acting rather strangely. He leaned on me for a bit, his hand waving around in front of his face as he coughed. “There’s something in the air, I swear, if it’s pollen I’m probably going to never stop sneezing,” he muttered as we continued to walk and I sniffed lightly at the air, tilting y head to the side as I did so. It was rather comical, I looked like a little puppy.

We were getting closer to my home, it wasn’t anything grand or special. It was a cosy space with enough room for my brother, me and my parents. We even had extra rooms for our weaponry and my father had a rather large greenhouse. I wanted to get home so I could have a bloody bath. I stank and so did my brother.