Chapter Two

Ruelle wanted to die.

If she had a choice to plunge a dagger deep into her chest, she would have done it without hesitation but, the fact that the earth would still rotate around the sun, made her hesitate. With or without her, life would still go on, and that was what she hated the most. The fact that her death would mean, nothing. She was just an irrelevant being so why was she trying so hard to survive?

She closed her eyes and leaned back on the couch. Their rent was going to expire in a week's time. She had tried every means possible to raise funds but everything, was a dead end. All the money she made, went to her and her sister's education and feeding, there was so much a 20 year old could possibly do.

Should she sell her body for some cash? Would she even be able to get much money even if she did?

Ruelle, raised her fingers to count how much she could make by selling her body but, stopped when she realized that she wouldn't even pay to sleep with herself.

She pulled her hair and groaned in frustration, this was absolutely pointless. If only she had help from her parents but, her father was the classic case of; going to buy milk from a store and never returning. Their mother that manged to stay, was now missing. Although her and her sister, liked to believe that she was with a new lover.

Just when she thought things would get better, they received a mail from their mother two days ago, in the form of an ancient looking, jeweled box.

What were they possibly supposed to do with it? It neither revealed where their mother was or how to get out of a financial crisis.

Ruelle, looked at the box on the table and realized that it looked out of place in the small rundown room.

Maybe she should throw the box away or sell it, but the thought of letting go of her mother's gift, made her hesitate.

Ruelle, sighed for the hundredth time and tried to think about something else like, how she was going to get the rent for this month and still have money left to eat.

"You're still looking at that box?"

Ruelle, looked up and saw her twin sister, Eloise, leaning against a wall. Her beauty, stood out in the rickety room and Ruelle, wondered if they were truly twins.

Asides the fact they weren't identical, Ruelle had white hair and, Eloise had dark hair.

Not only did their looks contrast, their personalities did. While Eloise was cheerful, easygoing and athletic, Ruelle was the opposite of cheerful, although she didn't look it.

"No, I'm thinking about how we're going to get out of a financial crisis."

"Thinking won't get you anywhere"

"At least it's the one that that's free"

Eloise, chuckled as she looked at her sister. "Are you planning on selling the box?"

She sighed before she looked back at the box. "Easier said than done."

Eloise, walked towards the box and stopped when she was close enough to it. "I've seen, and touched it many times in just one day. If we sell this box, we'll probably be able to make enough money for us to eat for some time."

Ruelle, smiled sadly at what her sister said. Thinking logically, the best bet was to sell the box, and gather the money for themselves. It wasn't as though they had enough money. But she didn't want to be logical, she wanted to be emotional. "I hate remembering we're poor" She concluded.

Eloise, chuckled as she watched her sister, struggle to give her a direct answer. "Well we are, and we should think about how to get out of it."

"And what about the letter?"