Chapter 9 The Calm

"Everyone, we have a bad news!" I announced half aloud just as I swung the engineering room's double door open.

Doc and Dante were tinkering with some scrap and electronics when I barged in.

"What's the ruckus?" asked Dante, his forehead crumpled with suspicion. "Have you seen an infected?" 

"No, no, not really. I just found out something worth checking."

"Worth checking? he griped. I couldn't tell whether his voice was getting all riled up, or just naturally loud. "Does it threaten our safety as we speak? And too dangerous for you to check by yourself?"

"I don't..." I paused. I really didn't know what to say. "It's just about what I learned from last night's..."

"Are you done with the tower I asked you to take care of?"

"I uh, I haven't started fixing the tower yet, but I..."

My mouth instantly froze as a loud clangorous noise echoed the room when Dante slammed the object he was working on right on his table.

"What do you mean you haven't started yet?!" Dante was infuriated, his hands stamped heavily on the table. "Do I have to do everything in here?!" he cursed.

I could not react but be stunned in silence, my breathing getting heavier in every passing second. I admit, I didn't expect that coming.

Doc stopped what he was doing as he looked at me with comprehending eyes. Then, slowly, he approached Dante. He stood by him and gently laid a hand on Dante's shoulder.

"Calm down." Doc breathed. "You're tired. You need to take it easy." he said. "We can take it from here."

Dante looked up, closed his eyes, and let off a calming sigh. After that, Doc approached me.

"Come, son. Let's go finish that tower." he said while opening the door for me.

Without further ado, we went out, my face blushed to a red. Doc and I were both silent as we tread through the hallway going to the main entrance.

As soon as Doc was punching the code, he broke the ice.

"Do not let that come to you, son. He's tired and frustrated, we know that. Let's just pretend it didn't happen." he said, calming the storm brewing in my chest. "The last thing this family needs is a quarrel."

The main entrance's steel door hissed open.

My mood was somehow cheered up when Doc mentioned the word "family". Ever since I had lost my memory, I always longed for my folks. But today, he just made me realize one important thing.

My eyes were looking too far, when all I was searching for was right here.

Doc, Dante - they are my family, the people whom I talk, laugh and cry with, the people whom I care, love and cherish, and the people whom I will protect, fight and die for.

There was nothing more important to me but them, because it has always been, and ever will be, the three of us in this dying world together. We have lived and survived through countless obstacles.

Nothing can break us apart.

With renewed spirit, I lightheartedly took off, now looking at our shelter in a different view.

Thou shall not fall, I told myself.

Immediately, I wasted no time going to the tower, and examined the extent of its damage. It was leveled to the last plank, but at least, its wooden floor was still intact. Basic carpentry, I thought, recalling Dante's words from earlier.