Calendula • Calendula Officinalis

Other Names: pot marigold, english marigold, poet's marigold, Husbandman's Dial, Marybud, Merrybud, Marygold, Summer's Bride

General Information:

Calendula is a Mediterranean annual that has become a popular garden plant in much of the world. It has pale green leaves and bright yellow or orange ray blooms at the top of long single stalks that keep going from spring to autumn. Leaves are pale green, slightly hairy and long and narrow, but wider and rounded at the end. The plant is branchy, slightly sticky and aromatic. Calendula grows about a foot tall, though flower stalks can be taller if it's really happy.

Harvest & Storage:

Pick flowers as soon as they open as they get progressively more bitter the older they get. Dry upside down in a dark place with good ventilation. Once they are dry, remove the petals and store in a sealed jar away from light and heat which can damage the oils they contain.

Magickal Attributes:

Marigold is associated with the Sun.

Calendula symbolizes love and constancy and is great for wedding bouquets and decorations. It is the traditional "he loves me, he loves me not" flower and is useful for love potions.

Wreaths of marigold hung over a door are said to keep evil and negativity from entering.

Dried petals can be strewn to consecrate an area or burned in consecration incense. They are also a good addition to dream pillows.

Household Use:

Calendula makes for long lasting cut flowers, but the scent is overpowering for some.

Petals can be used to make a lovely yellow dye. It has been used to lighten hair.

Medicinal Uses:

Calendula is antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic and is often added to healing and skin soothing salves.

Culinary Use:

Calendula petals can be used as a food coloring agent and has traditionally been used to color butter and cheese. It can be used to make yellow rice without saffron. They are also good in salads or sprinkled over cakes for a festive look.

 They are also good in salads or sprinkled over cakes for a festive look