Astragalus • Astragalus Propinquus

Other Names: Chinese milkvetch, Huang Qi, Milk vetch root, Yellow leader, Yellow emperor, Yellow vetch

General Information:

Astragalus is a member of the pea family and it looks like a typical pea family member. It can reach up to four feet tall with fern-like foliage and drooping white flowers in the summer and seed pods in the fall.

Propagation:

This is a hardy perennial that grows well in temperate climates. It should be planted in full sun at least a foot apart in slightly sandy, well-drained soil. Rub seeds between to pieces of fine sandpaper before planting in February before moving them out to your garden after the last danger of frost has passed.

Harvest & Storage:

Dig up the roots in autumn of the fourth or fifth year.

Magickal Attributes:

Astragalus corresponds to the planet Jupiter and the element Air.

Astragalus is a Chi tonic. Chi is the vital force of the body in Chinese lore. Applied to Western traditions, it could be used to increase energy for a variety of applications.

Medicinal Uses:

Astragalus strengthens the body's resistance to disease and increases energy by enhancing cell growth and longevity and simulating the synthesis of antibodies. It has a tonic effect on the liver, heart, lungs and kidneys. It lowers blood pressure and increases circulation. It enhances the production of interferon, which prevents viruses from replicating inside the body.

Common uses include; chronic fatigue, cold extremities, chronic auto immune disorders, Epstein Barr, stress, night sweats, appetite loss, mononucleosis, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's disease, some cancers, hepatitis, asthma, arthritis, nervousness, to increase fertility and to aid in the mending of broken bones.

Research has shown effectiveness in the areas of enhanced immunity, cardiovascular health and male infertility and has been used to support cancer therapy.

To protect health on a long-term basis, it is recommended that you take astragalus in a three week on, one week off regimen.

Astragalus is very safe and no adverse side effects have been reported in human or animal studies.

Culinary Use:

The roots may be cooked in stews (remove before serving) or the powder may be added to various recipes for flavor.

Additional Notes:

This is a good herb to switch off with echinacea. Many herbs start to lose effectiveness when they are taken for a long period of time.

Caution:

Astralagus should be avoided during menstruation and when you have acute infections.