4 Bleed Me, Past

George turned this way and that in front of the mirror, clutching his jacket lapels. "How do I look?"

"Like a prat." Lionel replied. "Can we go now?"

George gave him a filthy look before grabbing his overcoat. "Yes. Would it kill you to pay me a compliment once in a while?"

"Bloody hell, Berkeley!"

"A man wants to know his fellow peers feel threatened by him, is all. Plus I've never heard you say it."

Lionel snorted and stopped to face his friend. "You're the belle of the ball, my love-!" He ducked as George went for him. "Hah!"

"When high tide comes in, you're out."

The Higgins and Berkeley's had been invited to the Hastings soirée. Being neighbours out in the country ensured this by default for the Berkeley's. Something George wasn't particularly thrilled about. William had thrust the invitation into his hands and left him with only a sentence:

"Think with your head, George; preferably the one that sits between your shoulders."

Charming.

It was a fine, blue sky type of day, and promised to be rewarding in terms of folly and frivolity. Naturally, Lionel had to coerce George along, because there was no way he would go without a little creative persuasion.

"Any news on Charles?" He asked as they settled into the carriage, because Bethany written him asking a favour he didn't think he could oblige her. Dangerous game, this.

"Jimmy has been away for the entire week. Whatever it is they are doing, it must be leagues away. He hasn't sent word. I didn't know a woman could run so far and fast."

Lionel grinned in wry humour. "You'd be surprised."

They arrived at the Hastings estate in time with a few other carriages. It was taking place in the back garden of the house. Perfect for today. You could hear laughter and music wash in through the open doors. It had a beautiful centrepiece pond as part of the estate. Overlooking a charming apple tree and greenhouse. The fruits were almost in bloom and dripped like rubies amongst the foliage.

George sat inside the carriage collecting his thoughts. Lionel let him brew, understanding that this was a bit difficult for him. The man clearly had some unfinished business with the Hastings' girl.

"Come along, old chap." He said eventually.

George sighed. "Abandon hope, all ye who enter."

"Yes, Yes. Shakespeare has no drama compared to thee on a summers day. Now move it, there's a carriage coming up behind us."

*

Jeanine was sitting at one of the many scattered picnic blankets, entertaining a group of peers around her age. She had never had friends amongst the social circles of her parents, isolation had seen to that. Her friends had been the servants and staff members of the country estate. Needless to say, she found it hard to assimilate into their tight knit groups.

It was made worse by the fact she had been suffering horrendous cramps since the early morning. Each would come on in a sporadic wave and left her feeling weak and drained. She had not the patience for frivolity at the moment, but persevere she must. Her stomach gave another lurch and she had to resist the urge to curl into a ball then and there on the blanket.

I just want to sleep, and maybe something sweet.

Rosalyn, youngest daughter to the marquess of Bath and Elizabeth, the eldest daughter of a baron, had come as a formidable pair. They appeared to be very intimate and only heightened her sense of loneliness.