6 Write Me, Villain

William was vexed.

His father had been disappearing more and more frequently, returning as mysteriously as he would go. The old man was ambiguous in his responses too. What wasn't, however, was his health. It was deteriorating rapidly. Although you'd never know from the way he flounces around like a spring chicken, Christ!

That was the least of his problems today.

Colin came at his masters call. "My lord?"

"A stiff drink, Colin, if you would. Tell the lads to saddle my horse. I need a run."

He read over Lionel's letter once more. The sea captain that so often came as a duo with his middle brother, had written him. The letter itself was penned in the wonderful, dramatic manner of the captain himself. They were firm friends too so it wasn't unusual. The contents, however, vexed him.

"What in tarnation am I supposed to do?" He called out to the universe. Sometimes being the eldest often put the wisdoms and decision making upon his shoulders. I don't know if I'm quite comfortable with that. His loyalty to Charles would be tested. He only wondered if the boy would be able to forgive him, in time?

Colin arrived back with a tray of his favourite liquors. "Have you reached a decision, my lord?"

It didn't even surprise him that the servants knew. Of course they did. Half the time, Colin knew before him what he ought to do. Bloody wise crack of a man.

"Yes. I believe I do. It shan't be pretty, mind you."

*

Jeanine was sitting by the parlour window, using a thread to play with Lady Noir. She was going to be ten soon and had become a lap cat over the recent years, but indulged Jeanine every so often with the string.

The serving girl from many nights ago shuffled shyly into the room. Her name was Annabelle and she had taken a great liking to her mistress. She was always in her shadows, eager to help. It was sweet, and misplaced. Jeanine wasn't comfortable being served on. She never had been. But put up with it because it was expected of her.

"Hello, Annabelle. What can I do for you today?" She said with a smile.

"The mailman came by just now, miss." She held out a small stack of envelopes. "Tis all for today."

"Thank you." She smiled, dismissing the girl and rifling through them. A buff coloured envelope with a plain wax seal was addressed to her. "Oh, how exciting!" She could feel a hard bulge within the paper too.

Breaking it open, she pulled out the letter and read the words greedily.

Her face paled and her countenance dimmed. It was a short, concise note. The parchment slipped through her fingers and drifted to the floor. Her face was ashen, the colour completely drained. Her eyes, so vibrant and hopeful, became dull and lifeless.

She moved, as if on autopilot, having an out of body experience. The envelope remained on her lap, trembling fingers picked it up. The item inside tumbled out.

A ring.

Only a ghostly breath expelled from her lungs.