4; Maria

The next week went by pretty smoothly. I became more familiar with the house, I got to know Pepper and Happy - and Jarvis - more, and I even, kind of, got to know Tony more. He had me barricaded off though, he didn't quite trust me yet, and I could tell. I was okay with waiting though, I mean, Happy did tell me he would be like this, he just had to warm up to me. Almost like stepping into a really cold swimming pool. I understood where he was coming from, I still hadn't called him 'Dad', and I wasn't sure when I would.

It was Sunday night and I was starting school in the morning. Just thinking about it made my stomach do two backflips and a back handspring. I was terrified, but Tony insisted I had to go, which I still disagreed with.

I was currently sitting on the sofa, stuffing my face with some chicken nuggets while watching something on TV. Tony emerged from the basement, wiping his hands with a rag which used to be white, but was now covered in dirt.

"Wanna argue about school again?" I yelled to him as he disappeared into the kitchen. I took another bite of my chicken nugget.

"Nope!" He yelled back. I made a face and moved my mouth to mock him, when he walked in and caught me. I just grinned and continued eating.

"Why don't you want to go to school?" He sighed, flopping down on the couch next to me.

"Because!" I exclaimed, laying my nugget down on the plate. "I already know everything I need to know. They aren't going to teach me anything you can't teach me right here. In the warmth, and safety, of our home." I said dramatically, earning a look from Tony.

"What's three times three?"

"Nine."

"What's four times five?"

"Twenty."

"Hey you're alright after all. Okay, twenty-four times thirty-three." Tony smirked.

"Seven-hundred-and-ninety-two."

Tony shuffled to face me better. "Damn, kid. You're really good."

"Told you so."

"What about, four-hundred-and-seven times sixty-eight?" He pushed.

This time I had to think harder, and it took me a couple more seconds to process the numbers.

"It's okay if you ca—"

"Twenty-seven-thousand six-hundred-and-seventy-six."

I opened my eyes, which I didn't realize were clenched until now. Tony stared at me.

"Where did you learn to do that?" He asked in a breathy tone.

I shrugged and bit into another chicken nugget, which was getting cold now

I shrugged and bit into another chicken nugget, which was getting cold now. "I've always been good with numbers."

"Me too." He smiled.