The Quest Begins

"Hey Argus," I said to him. He nodded and went to wait in the van. He would be taking us only as far as the city. After that, we would be on our own.

Luke ran up the hill behind us carrying a pair of shoes. Annabeth blushed when she saw him and I winked at her earning myself a glare.

He handed Percy the sneakers,"Here, I thought you might be able to use these." Percy and I stared at the sneakers. By the look on Percy's face, they probably didn't smell the greatest either.

"Maia," Luke said and wings appeared at the back of the shoes. Percy dropped them in surprise. Annabeth laughed at him. I picked the shoes up, examining them, clocking out of their conversation. I was so concentrated in fact, that I dropped the shoes much like Percy had, when Luke surprised me with a hug.

"Good luck," he called as Annabeth an I piled into the white SUV where Argus was waiting for us. Percy was talking to Chiron. I looked out the passenger window in time to see Grover hurtling towards the van wearing the winged shoes. I laughed as he fell over sidways, sliding to a stop. After taking off the shoes, he got in the van besides Annabeth, glaring at me.

After a few minutes Percy opened my door and informed me that Chiron wanted to talk to me. I nodded and headed back up the hill.

"Yes?" I asked him.

"No one can know. Not even Percy," He didn't elaborate, but I knew he was talking about my other half.

"Why?" I asked slightly angry that I couldn't even tell my brother. He just looked at me sadly for a moment and waved me on. I glared at him suspiciously, but went anyway because I was holding everyone up.

When I reached the van, I found Percy had stolen my shotgun seat. I rolled my eyes at his triumphant grin and squeezed in the back next to Grover. Argus looked back at me to see if I was ready.

"Step on it," I told him. He nodded and we sped off towards the city. Towards another adventure that I wasn't ready for. I seriously (siriusly) doubted I would ever be ready for anything remotely life threatening ever again. Sure it was exciting, but two in one year?

We drove for awhile on empty road, watching fields of grass and trees blur by. It had been so long since I had been in an actual car that it almost seemed unreal. It almost seemed too normal, yet I was bored out of my mind so it wasn't too abnormal.

In the mean time, I was about to find out about the Percy versus Annabeth fued.

"Remind me again-why do you hate me so much?" Percy had asked. It only escalated from there. Annabeth had countered that she didn't hate him,but Percy didn't buy it.

I only picked up bits and pieces of it because I was trying to block it out, but I got the gist of their conversation.

Annabeth explained to Percy about Athena and Posiedon's rivalry and how they weren't supposed to get along because their parents didn't.

"Then how come you get along with me?" I asked her.

"You're different," she answered.

"Why? My dad's Posiedon too," I reminded her. Percy turned around to watch her, waiting for an answer.

"Never mind that," she said,"We're here!" She then proceeded to jump out of the SUV with the rest of us following. Percy and I exchanged a look.

"So," he said awkwardly,"We're twins are we?" I nodded and he gave a failed attempt to smile before retreating to Grover's side. They started up a conversation about our mom and Percy's stepdad. I felt like I was intruding so I fell into step next to Annabeth.

"So why don't you like him?" I asked her. She looked up and stared at me with her stormy grey eyes for a moment before answering.

"It's not that I don't like him. It's just that he's hopeless. He doesn't get anything. He doesn't understand how serious this all is. He treats it like a game," she said frustrated.

I didn't really know what to say to that. Sure we were siblings, but I didn't know anything about him except that his name is Percy and he likes pizza.

I felt like an intruder in my own life. I didn't even know who my own brother was.

---------------------------------------------

As we were waiting for the bus, the four of us started up a game of Hacky Sack with an apple from Grover. I assumed it was because of their ADHD, which I still didn't understand why I didn't have it too. Not that I was complaining.

It was actually quite entertaining until Grover swallowed it whole when Percy tossed it to him. Annabeth a Percy cracked up while he apologized.

I tensed up and turned to look behind me. I saw three old ladies bunche together, scanning the crowd. I had the sudden urge to hide. I grabbed my friends amd pulled them on the bus with me.

To my horror, the old ladies boarded the bus as well. Annabeth gasped and Percy's eyes widened when they noticed them.

"She didn't stay dead long," Percy told Annabeth. So he had fought at least one of them before. My instinct was to reach for my wand, but I managed to control myself.

Percy slid down in his seat so that he couldn't be seen by them. Annabeth started making suggestions as to how we could get away.

"We'll just slip out the windows," she was saying.

"They don't open," Grover pointed out.

"A back exit?" she asked less certain. There wasn't one.

I glanced back and noticed the ladies stand up. Grover whimpered. I looked closely at them, and realized that they were almost identical to each other. It was actually pretty creepy.

"I have to use the restroom," one stated loudly. The other two old ladies (which Annabeth and Grover had informed us were the three Furies from the Underworld) agreed with the first. They started heading towards us.

My heart was thumping in my chest. I remembered looking into Voldemort's eyes, being so close to that evil face, and simply passing out. If I couldn't face Voldemort, then would I be able to handle the three Furies disguised as old ladies?