❶ ; when i grow up

[ listen to the song above with headphones! it sounds like a live concert in your ears, and the song i've chosen fits the story well - it enhances the reading! ]

a bell rung, and an automated voice told them to pack up their things quickly so they wouldn't miss the bus. the seven-year-olds didn't need to be told twice. they shot out of the class, chatting animatedly about this and that.

'i can't believe stars are really that big! they look so small in the videos!'

'yeah, i wish we could see them!'

'you know nobody's allowed out. it's dangerous.'

two students, han jisung and lee felix, liked to call themselves soulmates. how else could they explain the facts that they were born exactly one day apart, they both lived in district nine, row five, houses right next to each other, and they were best friends? it had to be magic. and now they had another thing in common, after the day's lesson had been all about the night sky - they wanted to be stargazers when they grew up!

of course, both knew it could never be. the huge dome with simulated day and night cycles prevented them from ever seeing real stars, a real moon, real constellations, or anything up above. they'd have to make do with pictures and videos from a time long forgotten.

yes, there was a way out of the dome. it was forbidden.

[ ☾ ]

ELEVEN YEARS LATER

[ ☾ ]

when jisung walked into his best friend's room, his jaw dropped.

the ceiling, once plain and white like the rest of the buildings in the dome, had been transformed. some old footage of the night had been projected onto it. the stars glittered and shined, and the dark looked so welcoming and so full of everything, and the moon was pockmarked with shadow and craters, and it almost felt real.

'is- is this allowed?'

'yeah, i think so.'

'you already have four infractions, lixie, if you get another one-'

he was interrupted by his back hitting something soft. felix pulled him backwards to lie with him on his bed, linking their fingers together. he said softly, 'now we can stargaze together.'

now, he couldn't say no to that.