Softly chuckling, Baekhyun smiled up at the giant. "I used to call it the 'Adult Pacifier' effect because you really have to watch what you say and do in front of kids. They pick things up pretty quickly. You'd be surprised!"

It wasn't until then that Chanyeol realized it was something he missed seeing. For a second, he found himself stalling, lost in thought before looking off at the house when it registered in his mind that Baekhyun was staring at him, as if confused by the expression on his face.

"Knowing how smart Kyungsoo is," Chanyeol started, clearing his throat in the process, "I can see why you'd need to watch what you say around him.."

Arriving at the front of the house, Chanyeol turned and watched as Baekhyun led the ox to a nearby wooden post, looping the rope around it until it was secured by a simple knot. It brought his attention back to the animal as he questioned its purpose. Chanyeol knew that they needed it in order to overturn the thick, muddy rice fields and plow through the ground, but using an ox seemed inefficient.

"Have you two always used an ox?"

"Yes. Why?" Baekhyun retorted, looking back at him. "Do you need me to teach you how to use the plow using animal power? You might've forgotten how to by now--"

Waving a hand, Chanyeol interrupted him midway. "I still remember. What I mean is, why hasn't he bought a mechanical one? I send them money every month. I was half expecting them to invest it back into upgrading some decent farming equipment."

Baekhyun thought about the question before deciding the matter wasn't up for him to decide. "You should ask your father. I don't really know anything about their finances or the farming business," he admitted. "If you want better machinery, then we'll have to figure it out later because you need to start turning over the field today."

"I must've missed the part where I volunteered to be the ox caretaker."

Putting a hand to his hip, Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a tired look as he sighed. "I'm being serious, Yeol," he said. "I know you're kidding, but all jokes aside, we have to get the field overturned before the sun makes it too hot. Otherwise, you're probably going to pass out."

The weary tone in Baekhyun's voice was enough to straighten Chanyeol's attitude. Nodding, the giant took one look at the ox before meeting the smaller male's gaze again. "Sorry. I didn't mean to--"

Baekhyun stopped him. "It's okay. I just want to make it clear that we're only here for a few days and your father's land isn't that big. It's just best to remain coordinated if we want to get it done on time. If we have any delays, we might have to stay another day, but that cuts into your vacation time and adds more burden for your mother who'd be stuck babysitting Kyungsoo."

The mention of their son being at home with his grandmother made Chanyeol smile, which came as a surprise to the brunet. "If I didn't know my mother any better, I'd say that she's actually at home praying that something goes wrong just so she can spend more time with him."

"And knowing Kyungsoo," Baekhyun started, crossing his arms as he walked toward the father of his son, "I'd say that he's praying that we finish early. I did promise him that the three of us would spend some time together before you go back to Seoul. The excitement is probably going to keep him up for the next few days."

"Right... About that-- Seoul, I mean."

Baekhyun could see where the conversation was heading and decided to cut it short the best way he knew how. "I already know you told him that he could live with you," he said, pursing his lips together. "We can discuss the terms of custody later tonight if--"

"Baekhyun, I don't want to discuss custody."

Confused, Baekhyun furrowed his brows together and frowned. Thoughts ran across his mind at the speed of bullets, yet none of them felt right as to what Chanyeol's intentions were. Not even the expression on his face could give away a single hint.