Chapter 6: Just Curious?

Misora skipped gracefully down the stairs as Ren’s mother emerged from the kitchen, wiping her hands on her floral apron. “Misora,” she smiled kindly, “Do you want anything to eat?”

“I’m fine Umma,” Misora said reflexively. Realising what she had said, she tried to correct herself, “I mean…”

Ren’s mother seemed surprised for a second before softening, “It’s fine. It’ll be nice to have someone call me ‘umma’ again.”

“Jinjja?” Misora asked excitedly.

“Of course.”

“Thank you Umma,” Misora smiled. “I was just heading out; maybe drop by Ren’s dorm.”

“Have fun dear. Tell MinKi I said ‘Hi,’” Ren’s mother waved as Misora quickly put on her black converse. “Oh yeah,” a motherly voice suddenly said. “Misora are you going to start university after summer break ends?”

Misora paused and answered hesitantly, “…Probably…” She quickly added afterwards, “If I do, I have enough money to pay for the tuition myself. I don’t want to be a burden to you and MinKi.”

Ren's mother smiled warmly, “You’ll never be a burden to us. We both love having you around. We’ll worry about money and all that in a few weeks when enrolment starts.”

Misora jumped up ready to go. Grabbing her small handbag, she grinned at her newfound umma, “Don’t worry, I’ll do all the worrying for us.”

***

*L/Myungsoo POV*

It felt good to be walking about. Especially today. So far, I haven’t been recognized and it was strangely relaxing. I sometimes felt proud when I was recognized on the street, it boosted my self-esteem; even more so when I had some sort of disguise on. The rest of the guys were probably still sleeping, I didn’t know how they could sleep for so long, it was nearly noon. My eyes spotted a familiar pretty girl walking on the other side of the road, her attention focused at space, thinking deeply about something. I felt an automatic smile creep onto my face and I tried to stealthily cross the road but was unfortunately noticed.

“Misora!” I called as I stopped my attempt at surprising her.

She averted my eyes and lifted a hand to subtly cover her face.

“Yah!” I laughed, “That’s rude!”

She smiled pleasantly as I stepped in front of her, blocking her path, “Oh… L… I didn’t notice you there.”

“We’re the only two people on this street and I called your name,” I stated flicking her forehead lightly.

She rubbed the spot on her forehead softly, “Well… I might have seen you but I didn’t hear you.”

I finally noticed the black earphones and gently took one out of her ear, “What you listening to?”

“What else would I be listening to?” Misora shrugged.

I smirked knowingly as I leaned in closer, placing the earphone into my own ear. I was expecting an Infinite song but instead to my surprise I heard Nu’est’s “Hello” switching into EXO’s “Growl.”

I must’ve had a confused expression on my face because Misora giggled, “Did you think I’d be listening to Infinite or something?”

“Well what else would you be listening to? I thought Sungjong filled your iPod with all our songs,” I asked perplexed.

“I listened to all of them and I thought, “Hey why not catch up with some of the latest idols in Korea?” So I started listening to EXO,” this time it was Misora's turn to flick my forehead lightly. It was only then that I realised how far I had leaned in to listen through her earphones.

I was pretty sure my face was slightly red as I asked her, “How did you find Nu’est?” The question wasn't only to gain my composure but also out of genuine curiousity. Nu'est had only debuted a while ago, making me curious how a kpop beginner found such a rookie group.

“Oh Nu’est? My bro— MinK— Ren, Aron and JR stole my iPod and did the same thing Jongie did except with their group’s songs,” Misora informed me.

I gave her back her earphone as I eyed her suspiciously, “Were you about to say brother? Is there something you’re not telling me?”

“No, we’re not related. It was on instinct,” Misora sighed.

I carefully examined her expression as I asked her, “…So you’re close?”

“Family friend,” she answered shortly.

“Oh,” I nodded. "How long have you known each other?"

“You’re asking a lot of questions today,” Misora said as she brushed past me.

“I’m a curious guy!” I shouted after her.

***

*Misora POV*

I gritted my teeth, the hand holding the strap of my handbag tightening, “Would you stop following me?”

L, casually strolling a few metres behind me answered with a, “Nope."

I stopped abruptly causing him to bump into me, “Aren’t you supposed to be ‘Infinite’s cold, mysterious visual?’”

“How did you know that?” L grabbed my hand playfully and pulled me along with him.

“Sources,” I shrugged. No one needed to know about my research...

“Which Infinite member is your bias?” L grinned, turning to me.

“Sungjong,” I answered straight off.

“But it’s only Sungjong because you’ve known him for a while right?” L frowned slightly.

“Who knows?” I shrugged.

“So… are you and Sungjong pretty close?” L kept up the bombardment of questions.

“You could say that.” I kept my answers short, truth be told I didn’t actually know the guy walking beside me all that well.

“…Just friends?” L asked the ground.

“Always have been, always will be,” I smiled at myself slightly, remembering when I nearly fell for him on that particular rainy day.

“Oh, is that so?” I swear I imagined it but L sighed softly in relief. “Where you headed?”

“Nu’est’s dorm.”

“Wae?”

“Why not?”

“Then… can I come with you?” L asked awkwardly.

“I don’t see why you would want to but do whatever you like,” I answered dismissively. I didn't exactly miss the good, old days when I would have said “sure” straight away with a warm smile upon my face. It's sad how much isolation and death can change people.

Again, probably my imagination but I heard L hiss a small, “Yes,” under his breath.

(A/N)

“That particular rainy day” is in Chapter 2 btw. Lol you guys probably don’t even care.

Thanks for reading and stuff!