( CHAPTER EIGHTEEN. )

Start from the beginning

"Appointment?"

"Rosalie Salvatore — 9:30." 

She made a small circle with her lips, before she nodded, and then pointed to the couch outside the office, and the brunette's brown eyes glanced at the doors with dread in her stomach. Her ponytail swished from side to side as she walked to the sitting area, taking a seat on the left side of the couch, and turned the bottom button of her blazer in a circle due to her nerves before she closed her eyes and then tucked her hair behind her ear. She could feel her nerves turn to butterflies beating around her stomach and causing her heart to rise in her throat. After a few minutes, right before the clock turned to 9:30, the director's door opened and she stood to see a dark haired man slipping out, his eyes peering into Rosalie as if looking for her soul.

"Thanks for coming, Paul," the director — she's always heard him referred to as Joel, shakes Paul's hand who nods, and smiles, before he walks away, nodding to Rosalie at last. 

"Agent." He tells her, before disappearing into the elevator. 

With Paul gone, Joel turns back to Rosalie and shakes her hand. "Agent Salvatore, come inside." He waves her inside and she moves past him and goes inside, standing in front of his desk and by one of the two seats there. Joel closes the door, and then moves around before he grabs a personnel file, and then nods. "Take a seat, Agent." 

She does as she's told, sitting and crossing her legs at the ankles. "Now, Salvatore, I've read through your report, Sara — who is your direct supervisor, and Hotchner's reports, and all of them are consistent. First, may I say congratulations on stopping the bomb and Agent Mayer, but I would also like to scold you on how completely reckless that was for the stunt you pulled." She nods slowly, pressing her lips together as he goes on to speak, before he clears his throat, sniffles and then fixes his tie at his throat. "But that's not why I've called you in. Ballistics and Internal Affairs looked over your original firearm and assessed the situation themselves, and you have been cleared."

A small sigh of relief left Rosalie, her features softening at the slightest gaze Joel took to look into her features before he then handed her a rust-colored file. With hesitance, she opened it and looked at the top paper. "Sara recommended you for a promotion, but before this promotion, I, the assistant director, and your superior unit chief agreed that you would be the best agent for this deployment. While we're certain you and your team stopped the attacks in New York, we're afraid that this is a larger operation and we can only send one of you. And Sara trusts you can handle this specific assignment. But we're afraid Peter has ties to the German crime underground. We need to squash this problem as soon as we can because the specific boss he's in cahoots with is a part of—"

"—La Eme, but he overextended to MS-13." She read and pressed her tongue to her cheek. "He was working with the Mexican mafia." She exhaled and shook her head. "When would you want me to handle this?"

"Not until we get more intel and can set you up with an identity that is stable enough to go undercover with the Department of Defense. We're hoping six to twelve months that we'll have enough for you to transition safely."

"Should we be worried about retaliation?"

"I wouldn't, but we'll keep an ear to the ground. As for you, you just keep doing a good job and don't stress. We'll let you know if anything changes."

Rosalie fixed her lips to protest when he stood up and opened the door, before waving a hand. "It was nice to talk to you, Agent Salvatore. We should do it again sometime," he told her sternly before she exhaled and stood up, before she walked out the office, and looked back at him before she grabbed her holstered gun and her badge.

Her gut twisted with nerves — the whole ordeal not settling right with her, and she didn't think it would ever. But she nodded, and walked to the elevator, the silver doors shutting behind her. And when the elevator dropped, so did her heart.

( 1.14.18

— And that's just a brief filler chapter, I promise the next chapter will be much better! There will be action, I hope, and some cute stuff, because this is season seven, so Will and JJ's wedding will be featured before some drama happens.

Also, I will be doing another criminal minds story (either now or soon), but it is about Luke Alvez, and entitled Dark Places, so I hope you all will read that just as well! Here's the cover, and look out for it, because when this story comes to an end, you will meet the main character for that story, and you'll also see some Derek and Rosalie in that story.