( CHAPTER FOURTEEN. )

chapter fourteen
close encounters of the 9th kind

ROSALIE turned her head to see the truck in front of hers burning and glass all around it

ROSALIE turned her head to see the truck in front of hers burning and glass all around it. Her back was pressed to the ground and she heard a faint ringing in her ears but her heartbeat pounding was louder. She looked at Derek, who had snatched her back and threw her under his form by the wall of the garage, his reflexes faster than hers. The car continues to burn, the few FBI agents like James, Andrew, Hotch, and JJ getting the crowd to back up just as it explodes, causing the nearby windows to rattle, and a fireball to swirl in the air. 

"You okay?" Derek asked her as he cupped her face, a small cut on her cheek but otherwise, she visually looked fine. Her frame was trembling like a leaf, her hands clinging to his arms as he led her to sit up from the concrete. Her gaze tilted towards the sky and she slowly nodded as she pressed her fingers to her temple, her heart settling back in her chest as she clasped a hand around his as he brought her back to the sidewalk.

As emergency sirens filled the air, and a flicker of a red fire truck came around the corner, Rosalie turned her head as her phone started ringing again, and she answered it, pressing the speaker button. 

"Who is this?" She asked softly, her shoulders dropping before Derek took a step closer to her, his hand that wasn't in hers set on her bicep.

"Did you really think we would kill you, Agent Salvatore? We need you." The computerized voice replies, and she shudders softly as she shook her head. 

"Then why the bomb?"

"Wasn't... us." The voice pauses, and she hears the sound of music in the background, and she turned the ring on her thumb as he continued to speak. "We need you to figure out why we're doing this. We wouldn't kill you."

"Yet, or at all?"

"You're the only one trying to figure us out. We wouldn't... kill you. Now take the phone off speaker, Agent."

She does as she's told, raising the phone to her ear, and then swallowing. "Is there anything else I should know?"

"Watch your back, someone on your team can't be trusted, Agent."  The line cuts and the call ends just as Derek waves some paramedics over, but unwavering to move from her side as they try to get her to sit down on the back of the ambulance. They flashed a light in her eyes and watched her pupils dilate and then her eyes followed the light from right to left.

"Ma'am, are you having a hard time hearing?" The young paramedic asked and she shook her head.

The fire department is putting the car fire out, the black SUV charred and covered in ash as she looks at the skeleton in the front seat, clothes stuck to the corpse, as she presses her lips together, and looks around before she feels her throat tighten in an unusual manner. 

"No, I'm fine." She stood up, a pounding forming in her head like a headache, but she shook it off, grabbing Derek's hand again and pulling him towards the black SUVs still standing, cleared of searching for bombs within or under the car. "Who's missing?" She asked slowly before Derek furrows his thick eyebrows.