( CHAPTER TWELVE. )

chapter twelve
ticking clock

ONCE that microphone was set on Rosalie's ear, Derek watched her take a sip of water before she went into work mode, which was different from what he had been watching her in for the past six hours since they had landed off the jet

ONCE that microphone was set on Rosalie's ear, Derek watched her take a sip of water before she went into work mode, which was different from what he had been watching her in for the past six hours since they had landed off the jet. If her gaze wasn't so intimidating, any man attracted to her would have been magnetized right then.

 And was she a force to be reckoned with. He fixated himself on her features, how she didn't sit and how she set her hands on the table in front of her, back slightly arched enough for him to get the slightest peek of the green and black tattoo on the back of her hip. Her eyes were slightly narrowed as she picked up a sealed manila file and opened it with her fingertips. She turned the microphone to her lips and flicked through the pages inside the file, before she looked over at him, and pulled a page, setting it by his arm. 

"Do you think Garcia could find out the statuses of everyone on this list? If they're still in the city, we need to call them in." She told him as she dropped her head by his ear, leaning against the table. Derek gave her a nod as she stood up, fixed her shirt and watched her pace along the room again, the telephone ringing and the room they were in fell completely silent as they watched her do her job.

She stopped in place, laptop open and James moving to her side as Derek placed a headphone by his ear to listen.

Peter moved towards the phone in the room that Rosalie's earpiece was connected to, and sat down in front of it.

"This is Agent Rosalie Salvatore of the FBI. May I ask who I'm speaking to?"

"Five minutes," a male voice stated.

"Five minutes for?" She waved her finger as James began tracing the call, and she pressed her fingers to the table she was in front of.

"Five minutes and we'll do it again."

"Do what again? I don't understand, if you talk more to me, maybe you can help me understand." Rosalie coaxed, her voice unfaltering and even smooth like honey. It made Derek want to confide in her every secret he had as if he knew it would be safe with her.

"Five minutes. Bang, boom." The voice said again — and it dawned on her that it was computerized. Someone was intentionally changing their voice. 

"Is someone going to get hurt? Where?"

"Lots of people will get hurt if you don't hurry, Agent." 

"Where? Tell me where?"

"There's already been a bang there once, Agent. Planes. Bang, bang."

Rosalie's eyes widened, and she looked over at Derek, who nodded as she wrote it on a whiteboard. One World Trade Center, Ground Zero, 9/11 Memorial — evacuate all of them now! 

She showed it to Hotch and the other FBI agents in the room, who proceeded to make calls, scattering to go to work as she softly exhaled. "Why are you doing this? Tell me why you're doing this, that way, you can get the attention you rightfully deserve."