[Chptr. 28]

Previously: "Rachel?" I asked and took a cautious step towards her. Her phone slipped from her hand and would've hit the ground if Kevin hadn't caught it. "Jim," she whispered her brother's name. Todd and I looked at each other with strange looks. "What about him?" Todd asked, his voice firm. Rachel took a deep breath before answering, never taking her eyes off of mine, "He escaped this morning." That was all she needed to say...

Chapter 28

Yelling. That's all I could hear as soon as those words escaped from Rachel's mouth. Todd and Kevin are yelling in my defense while Rachel had called my parents.

And me? I'm just sitting here on the couch, nonmoving, nonspeaking, barely breathing. I can not believe this is happening. Just when I thought things were looking up, this guy has to break out of...wait...was he even in prison yet? "Was he even in jail?" I asked quietly.

As soon as I spoke, the room went quiet, as if they forgot I was even here. Todd rushed to my side and wrapped his right arm around my shoulders for comfort. "No, they decided to keep him in a holding cell downtown since his trail was made so soon," Rachel explained, she she's still standing.

She hasn't moved from that same spot since she got that call. What now? How am I suppose to go to school tomorrow knowing that he's out there, probably watching me. How am I supposed to go on living my life knowing this sick freak is out there?

All of a sudden, the door burst open, revealing my very unhappy father. He came rushing in and went directly towards his bedroom. I don't even think he noticed us in the frontroom. Kevin, Todd, and Rachel looked at me with WTF looks. When my dad reappeared, he had a duffel bag over his left shoulder.

When he gets that duffel bag it only means one thing. My heart jumped with excitement when I realized. I completely forgot about everything that just occurred. Like I had said, I'm never going to allow myself to become afraid of another human being like that again.

My dad looked at me with an emotionless face and nodded his head. I nodded back before running upstairs to my bedroom. I scanned my room as I heard my bedroom door open and footsteps walk in. "Uh, Naomi? What's going on?" Rachel asked cautiously.

I ran towards my desk where it usually is, but it's not there. Where the hell is it? I remember having it when I leave the police station...I came home...came in here...

"Naomi what are you looking for?" Kevin asked, but I was too busy thinking to answer. I rushed pass the three and opened the drawers in my desk...nothing. I ran over to my dresser and searched through my clothes...nothing. Where the hell is it?!

I rushed towards my bed, throwing my covers and sheets every which way...nothing. I took a deep breath to calm my irritation. As I raked my fingers through my hair, Kevin approached me. "You know, we could help if we knew what exactly it is you're looking for," he suggested.

I bent down to look under my bed out of desperation...nothing. I get back on my feet and sigh with defeat. "My white, leather purse," I reply simply.

There was a silence until Todd broke it. "Oh, you mean this," he asked with a hint of humor.

He pointed to on the floor beside the door before picking up the purse by its strap with his index finger. Duh, Naomi! I mentally slap myself for not looking there in the first place. I smile with relief as I walked swiftly towards Todd. He held it out for me to grab, which I did. I mumbled thank you and rushed back downstairs.

My dad was in the kitchen talking on the phone to someone. My guess is the police, because he's asking how in world Rachel's brother escape from a police station. I heard footsteps rushing down the stairs behind me. "Seriously Naomi, what's going on? You're starting to freak us out," Todd questioned seriously.

I turn to look at them; they all were showing the same face; confusion and worry. "Well, what do you expect us to do?! Become sitting ducks while this guy is roaming free?!" I heard my dad yelling into the phone.

I took a deep breath. "Me and my dad have this thing we do when we need to release some steam," I began to explain.

"No! She's not Anne Frank! She's not going to go into hiding!" my dad shouted from the kitchen.

I winced. I hated when my dad would yell. But not as much as I hate when he's completely silent, that makes my flesh crawl. "Back in Florida, whenever either one of us were pissed off, we'd--" I tried to explain but my dad's voice cut me off.

"Stay calm?! There's a convicted felon on the loose and I'm more than 100% sure that's he's after my daughter! And you expect me to stay calm?!" he bellowed.

"We'd usually always go to an uh...a gun range," I paused to hear their reactions. To my surprise they didn't look surprised. Todd walked towards me and embraced me into a hug. "I'm wherever you are," Todd announced.

Then Rachel walked up and joined in on the hug. "Me too," she announced.

Then Kevin came up behind Rachel and roped his arms around the three of us. "Count me in," he confirmed. I felt a tear escape my eyes. How did I receive such great friends.

"Well you better do something or god-d*mnit I will!" my dad yelled into the phone.

Once the group hug was over Todd reached up and wiped my tears away with him thumbs as he cupped my face. "He won't hurt you again," he promised as he stared deep into my eyes.

He leaned in to kiss me until we heard someone clear their throat dramatically. We turned our heads to face my dad and Todd reluctantly removed his hands. "Hey, Mr. Scott," my friends greeted nervously since they didn't get a chance to when he first stormed in.

My dad's eyes scanned all of them before staying on Todd. Oh no. Not that father speech dad. Not right now, especially since you're extremely pissed off right now. "You ready, Naomi?" dad asked when he finally removed his eyes from Todd. I nodded my head.

My dad started towards the door and out the house. My friends and I followed quietly behind him. Before dad hoped into the front seat of us car, I quickly asked if Rachel, Todd, and Kevin could tag along. He agreed and we all hoped into the car, not daring to speak. My dad can be very scary when he's mad. But he's not the type to take his anger out on uninvolved people.

That's why he usually heads off to the shooting range to blow off steam when he's pissed. I'm glad to know he found one here, because there's a lot of steam I need to release.

And if we happen to see Jim, God only knows what will happen to him. Especially if my dad's around...

[AN: he everyone...this chapter is just to shed some light on Naomi's dad (don't have a first name for him, up for suggestions) and how he is, he's going to play a major part in the upcoming chapters...I know this chapters kind of a bore but please stay interested...I promise it's getting better...xoxo]